• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car accident into Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eatonden

Delaware- Approx 1 week ago an individual was speeding in a 25 mph zone and ran up onto the sidewalk an into my mothers house. He then ran, hit and run, and the car was found later. They also found the suspect and charged him with a number of issues. My mother is 84 yrs old, no injuries other than shaken.
Cause approx $30,000.00 damage to her home and totaled her car that was in the driveway.

My question is, even though my mother is not hurt, can I still seek a significant settlement for gross negligence? Again my mom is 84 and taken from her home of over 40 years, no transportation other than her kids. She usually sits right where the car came through and feels she is going to have a hard time getting used to sitting in that room.

I feel she should receive compensation other than the cost of her car.

What do you think?

StephenH

File with your homeowners insurance

You should file with your homeowners insurance, and then they will go after the drivers insurance. If this does not work, you can sue the driver of the car.

eatonden

Yes, that is what we have done. However, I quess my real question is does my mom have grounds to sue? Thanks for your help.

moburkes

Yes, that is what we have done. However, I quess my real question is does my mom have grounds to sue? Thanks for your help.
She can try. However, how much money do you think she will be able to collect from the person who did this?

moburkes

You should file with your homeowners insurance, and then they will go after the drivers insurance. If this does not work, you can sue the driver of the car.
Also, file with the her auto insurance company if she had collision coverage.

Hi. A couple of questions:

1) Your mom's house and vehicle were damaged. However, she is 84, and depends on you to drive her places, from what I read, right?

2) Your mom did not incur physical damage, just emotional fright, right?

3) You want to know if she can be compensated for an emotional trauma in addition to the property damage, right?

4) Have her homeowner's and auto coverage company's been contacted? I am up past bedtime so my memory is going - was the guy who caused the damage caught? If so, does he have auto coverage? Have you checked his coverage yet? I doubt emotional trauma without physical trauma is compensible but I am not in the insurance field.

Best wishes to your mom. Hope she can get her life back to normal as quickly as possible. You are a good kid wanting to help her so much.

K

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">