• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car accident with lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mbbc1

I was involved in a car accident with a tractor trailor in North Carolina. The trucker side swiped me and totaled my car and carsed injuries. He was ticketed. I then sued his insurance company and received a lump sum to pay off my medical bills and for lingering pain.

My question: I now live in Florida and am wondering if I need to claim this sum on my taxes or does the insurance company have to claim? Please help. Thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mbbc1 said:
I was involved in a car accident with a tractor trailor in North Carolina. The trucker side swiped me and totaled my car and carsed injuries. He was ticketed. I then sued his insurance company and received a lump sum to pay off my medical bills and for lingering pain.

My question: I now live in Florida and am wondering if I need to claim this sum on my taxes or does the insurance company have to claim? Please help. Thank you
My response:

Settlements for General Damages, Property Damage and Medical Expenses are non-taxable. The only parts of a settlement that could be taxable are those portions received for lost earnings and lost earning capacity.

You're in the clear as far as Uncle Sam is concerned.

IAAL

M

mbbc1

Thank you so much for the info. You have definately made my day! Thank God the govt. can't get a hold of my mula. Thanks again mb

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">