• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Accident Medical Bill 4 years later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LMT50

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

Hi,

I was in a car wreck in 1996. Had some mediacl problems (nothing too serious, but some pain still lingers), so decided to get a lawyer to take care of the whole thing to make sure it was done correctly. After everything was settled in 1998 I think, the lawyer said everything was paid, and everything would be fine. 1 year ago I decide to look at my credit report, all of a sudden I have a claim from a collection agency for $401 for some medical bill an orthopedic surgeon said I still owed from the accident. I contact my lawyer and at first he is like there is nothing he can do, then he budges somewhat and says he will call around. It has been around 8 months, and he has contacted me saying my insurance company says they paid it, the Dr says they did not, it went towards some other bill. My lawyer told me the only thing he can do is see if I want to file suit against the Drs office, which will cost me money. He just told me this today, so I was looking on advice as to what I can tell him. I am very upset at the whole situation, since now I have a collection agency on my very good credit rating. I mean, what did the lawyer receive 30% of the settlement for if a few years down the road I get medical bills coming back saying they were unpaid and he says my only option is to pay him more to sue them? Am I wrong here thinking that the lawyer I paid thousands of dollars to should legally be held responsible for not keeping records of what was paid and what was not? Now why should I have to pay more to him to sue someone again? I know nothing about accident laws or any situations like this, and would like some advice if possible.

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">