• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car accident - my fault, am I liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

booboos

(State of GA) I backed into another car accidentally. I didn't see it because it was dark, rainy, and I'm in an SUV and he was in an Accord and right behind me. We were at a stoplight at my apt complex (is that private property?). Anyway, we both got out and he was in a hurry and just took down my name and number and left before I could get anything out of him. I looked at the damage and there were just some scratches on his hood. My question is...what am I liable for? And how long am I required to wait for him to get back to me since I don't have any of his info? I just don't want to get ripped off, and then all of a sudden get sued or something. I'll probably just pay the cost to repair the scratches out of pocket if/when he does call, but I just want to be sure from a legal perspective what I need to do to make sure my butt is covered since no paperwork was filed, and nobody was called.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

booboos said:
(State of GA) I backed into another car accidentally. I didn't see it because it was dark, rainy, and I'm in an SUV and he was in an Accord and right behind me. We were at a stoplight at my apt complex (is that private property?). Anyway, we both got out and he was in a hurry and just took down my name and number and left before I could get anything out of him. I looked at the damage and there were just some scratches on his hood. My question is...what am I liable for? And how long am I required to wait for him to get back to me since I don't have any of his info? I just don't want to get ripped off, and then all of a sudden get sued or something. I'll probably just pay the cost to repair the scratches out of pocket if/when he does call, but I just want to be sure from a legal perspective what I need to do to make sure my butt is covered since no paperwork was filed, and nobody was called.
My response:

The specific Statute of Limitations in Georgia for property damage claims is 4 years. Since you know that you were negligent, you would be responsible for the "reasonable" costs of repair. If and when he contacts you, make sure that he has received at least 2 recent estimates of repair for your review. You would be responsible for paying the lesser amount of all repair estimates.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">