• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car accident- no insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danika1013

What is the name of your state? california

I was involved in a car accident, the other driver was at fault & I had no insurance at the time b/c i had just bought the car and was litterally driving it around the corner to my house. i didnt' think anything would happen in the short amount of time and i know it's my problem that i didn't get insurance before i took it home and now i have to deal with this mess. I have insurance now on a different car but i don't think that will help any.

His insurance company said it was a "total loss" b/c it would cost more to fix my car than the car is worth. I looked around online to find info about what i can do and I know I can't get money for "pain & suffering" b/c I had no insurance but I think i read I can still recieve money for property damage,medical bills,& transportation(while my car is out of commission-rental car,bus etc.?). i wasn't sucessful in finding the actual law online, only some websites that mentioned those things.

His insurance company only wants to give me $621 for my car :(. i paid $1200 for the car and put even more money into fixing it up more. the friend i bought it from had done a lot of work on the car before i bought it too and it was ready to go another 100,000 miles. I'm not sure what to do next. i need my car to get to work. i've been taking the bus/taxi everyday i have to work and it's costing me way too much.

i'm not sure it i should take him to small claims court or if i take his insurance company to court or what the heck i should do! I just want to resolve this situation w/ the best possible outcome asap. any help at all would be great! :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You would take the responsible party to court, not the insurance company.
You can only receive "Fair Market Value" for your vehicle. Let's say you have a car that's worth $2,000. You blow the engine and pay $4,000 to have it replaced. How much do you think the car is worth? (Answer: $2,000 or possibly less with it being re-engined)

Betty

Agree. If you want additional payment over what the ins. co. is willing to pay, you would have to sue the at-fault driver. (not the ins. co.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">