• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Accident: No insurance-AL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abbzia

Accident:public safety-AL!!!

What is the name of your state? Alabama

Hey,

I have been involved in a car accident while visiting a friend in state of Alabama. My tags are from Illinois. I did not have my insurance at the time of accident but I have settled the dispute with the party and we had signed the release. But the problem is that the local police has lodged a report (the police officer did not ask for insurance) and I have to send a form SR-13 to the department of public safety with insurance information within a month or else they will suspend my license. So my dilemma is

1) will they impose fine, revoke or suspend my drivers license if they know that I did not have insurance at the time of accident (After all the cop dint ticket me or ask me for insurance).
2) Or do I just give a blind eye to the Sr-13 form and say in the form that I had insurance at the time of driving ( though I didnt, ofcourse they will verify this)

Please help me on this... what should I be doing to avoid any court appearances and tickets/fines/suspensions etc.,. thank you

Last edited:

stephenk

Tell the truth and face the prospect of getting your license suspended for a period of time. you can't lie on the form because it will ask for the insurance details, which you don't have.

Are you currently insured?

S

shell007

The proof of insurance (lack of) will present itself in "black and white".

The date of the accident (from the report) and the start date (of your insurance policy) will condradict each other.

Tell the truth!

abbzia

guys...Thanks for your replies really appreciate that.....do you guyz know what can the consequences be for not having the insurance at the time of accident????

sukharev

abbzia said:
guys...Thanks for your replies really appreciate that.....do you guyz know what can the consequences be for not having the insurance at the time of accident????
Probably same as not having insurance, period. Fines, yup to $500, whatever Alabama prescribes. See:

http://www.jeffcointouch.com/jeffcointouch/pdfs/mliinfo.pdf

If your violation ever find sits way back to Illinois, here is what will happen (you probably already know this):

http://www.foppeinsurance.com/MANDINS.htm

justalayman

http://alisdb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/ACASLogin.asp

Your post looks deceptive. You state "my tags are from illinois". Does that mean your DL is also. If so go to the above site. Look for how the insurance laws apply to a non-resident of alabama. I'm not positive but I believe it to read your are not required under Alabama law to have insurance unless there is some type of reciprocal agreement with Illinois. If there is I don't know.

The problem is that whatever happens in Alabama doesn't stay in Alabama. They will report it to Illinois and if you operated a vehicle with no insurance....they can impose Illinois statutes involving car insurance.

sukharev

justalayman said:
http://alisdb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/ACASLogin.asp

Your post looks deceptive. You state "my tags are from illinois". Does that mean your DL is also. If so go to the above site. Look for how the insurance laws apply to a non-resident of alabama. I'm not positive but I believe it to read your are not required under Alabama law to have insurance unless there is some type of reciprocal agreement with Illinois. If there is I don't know.

The problem is that whatever happens in Alabama doesn't stay in Alabama. They will report it to Illinois and if you operated a vehicle with no insurance....they can impose Illinois statutes involving car insurance.
Sorry, layman, you have just goofed. Alabama, just like Illinois, prohibits operation of any motor vehicle without insurance. Does not matter where your license is from, if the car is on the road, it's got to be insured. See my previous post.

justalayman

sukharev said:
Sorry, layman, you have just goofed. Alabama, just like Illinois, prohibits operation of any motor vehicle without insurance. Does not matter where your license is from, if the car is on the road, it's got to be insured. See my previous post.
Wasn't sure. Reading Alabama statutes are confusing to me. That bad part is that I KNOW I saw the part of sending info to Illinois (which also seems to be typical in other states)

I don't know if there are any states left that don't require ins. Seems strange that if you were from a state as such and cruised through another state that you could be prevented from driving in that state. I undersstand the reasoning but it seems tough.

luvbskts

abbzia said:
What is the name of your state? Alabama

Hey,

I have been involved in a car accident while visiting a friend in state of Alabama. My tags are from Illinois. I did not have my insurance at the time of accident but I have settled the dispute with the party and we had signed the release. But the problem is that the local police has lodged a report (the police officer did not ask for insurance) and I have to send a form SR-13 to the department of public safety with insurance information within a month or else they will suspend my license. So my dilemma is

1) will they impose fine, revoke or suspend my drivers license if they know that I did not have insurance at the time of accident (After all the cop dint ticket me or ask me for insurance).
2) Or do I just give a blind eye to the Sr-13 form and say in the form that I had insurance at the time of driving ( though I didnt, ofcourse they will verify this)

Please help me on this... what should I be doing to avoid any court appearances and tickets/fines/suspensions etc.,. thank you
Check the law in your state to make sure that it's insurance that's required ot financial responsibility. If it's the financial responsibility, you did your part.

sukharev

luvbskts said:
Check the law in your state to make sure that it's insurance that's required ot financial responsibility. If it's the financial responsibility, you did your part.
Mind clarifying the difference? (not that it matters, the law is clear and it's mandatory insurance in both states)

justalayman

sukharev said:
Mind clarifying the difference? (not that it matters, the law is clear and it's mandatory insurance in both states)
Insurance is one form of proof of financial responsibility. Most states laws that I have read also list other forms of financial responsibility that would be acceptable to the state. Things like a bond seem to be most common.

And as far as showing financial responsibility: The states require you to prove that you had ability to assume financial responsibility/liability at the time of incident. Therefore you have to have insurance or some other form of financial responsibility proof at the time of incident. Getting it later actually only shows your LACK of responsibility both financial and general .

sukharev

Sorry, I think you are confusing the terms here. How can someone have proof of financial responsibility without insurance? It's like saying: I have a million dollars so I don't need insurance :D And, agreeing to pay damages is not a proof, just an offer to cover damages, police did not get that in writing at time of accident, did they?

We are beating on dead horse. Once again, both states REQUIRE INSURANCE, it's that simple. So, a driver driving the car registered in Illinois should have had insurance while driving anywhere else, especially Alabama.

justalayman

sukharev said:
Sorry, I think you are confusing the terms here. How can someone have proof of financial responsibility without insurance? It's like saying: I have a million dollars so I don't need insurance :D And, agreeing to pay damages is not a proof, just an offer to cover damages, police did not get that in writing at time of accident, did they?

We are beating on dead horse. Once again, both states REQUIRE INSURANCE, it's that simple. So, a driver driving the car registered in Illinois should have had insurance while driving anywhere else, especially Alabama.
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title9/ar25/ch4.html

Suk: go here...insurance is merely one type of financial responsibility. This is from Indiana, it states alternate methods. Although not commonly used by the average driver. So NO they do not require insurance if you have an acceptable alternate. But yes the point is moot for the OP 'cuz they didn't have nuthin' at the right time.

luvbskts

justalayman said:
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title9/ar25/ch4.html

Suk: go here...insurance is merely one type of financial responsibility. This is from Indiana, it states alternate methods. Although not commonly used by the average driver. So NO they do not require insurance if you have an acceptable alternate. But yes the point is moot for the OP 'cuz they didn't have nuthin' at the right time.
Thank you for explaining it so nicely!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">