• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CAR ACCIDENT - No Insurance - My fault - Getting sued by MERCURY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulator-419

What is the name of your state? California

Hi, on June '06 I was involved in a car accident while driving my mom's car. She had no insurance, and I was found to be at fault. I agreed to paid my mom the damages to her car, but the OTHER DRIVER'S insurance company (MERCURY, oh how i loathe thee) has been demanding I pay them 4900$ to cover the damages of their "client". I don't have that kind of money to just THROW away, and I've been just ignoring their requests in the mail for me to respond on what I am planning to do. Now I received a letter from MERCURY's lawyers, stating this is their last "request" for me to contact MERCURY INSURANCE GROUP, before they take legal action. If I am sued by Mercury, don't go to court, and continue acting like nothing happened, what is the worst case scenario? Can I go to jail? Will they begin to take from my "wages"? What should I do here? Please, any advise would be great. I REALLY don't want to pay them... I hate getting punked by an insurance company, especially when this amount means nothing to them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? California

Hi, on June '06 I was involved in a car accident while driving my mom's car. She had no insurance, and I was found to be at fault. I agreed to paid my mom the damages to her car, but the OTHER DRIVER'S insurance company (MERCURY, oh how i loathe thee) has been demanding I pay them 4900$ to cover the damages of their "client". I don't have that kind of money to just THROW away, and I've been just ignoring their requests in the mail for me to respond on what I am planning to do. Now I received a letter from MERCURY's lawyers, stating this is their last "request" for me to contact MERCURY INSURANCE GROUP, before they take legal action. If I am sued by Mercury, don't go to court, and continue acting like nothing happened, what is the worst case scenario? Can I go to jail? Will they begin to take from my "wages"? What should I do here? Please, any advise would be great. I REALLY don't want to pay them... I hate getting punked by an insurance company, especially when this amount means nothing to them.
What an attitude -
You caused damage - Mercury paid for it and is demanding (rightfully) that you reimburse them. Yet, somehow, you feel as if you're the one being "punked". Amazing!
What should you do? You SHOULD pay them. Will you go to jail? No. Can they attach your wages for a judgment? Absolutely. (+ attorney/collection fees yay!)
Also, how's that license suspension coming along?

People like you cause the cost of insurance for everyone to rise...you make me sick.

CJane

Let's see. You were driving an uninsured vehicle. You were in an accident that was determined to be your fault. You have been repeatedly asked to call the insurer of the victim of the accident, and have ignored those requests, and you want to know what the worst case scenario is if you continue to ignore your obligations?

Well, I suppose the worst case scenario for all of us is that you'll reproduce.

For you, it's probably that they'll seek a judgement against you for the amount plus interest and court costs. You won't show up, they'll receive a default judgement, and they'll proceed with garnishment attempts. You'll probably quit your job to avoid paying, and my insurance rates will go up to cover your irresponsible ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">