• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car accident with no police report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rrwillu

What is the name of your state? Michgan

hello,

thanks in advance for helping me out.

last weekd, the car in front of me and me are going at same speed. The green light turned yellow and the car in front of me stopped suddenly. I hit the bumber. At this time we both were on this side of traffic light.
WE did not call police. She asked my address and phone number and I gave it to her saying i will fix the bumber.
The amount she is asking is more that i can afford. She says she would call police now.
What would police do in this situation? I'm afraid my insurance would go high and my driving record will be affected.
what are my otpions and how best i can handle this? thanks in advance.

ecmst12

Whether or not the police get involved, you have two options. Pay the lady or file the claim with your insurance and let them pay. If the police get involved, then your insurance company will find out about the accident and your rates could go up whether you let them pay the claim or pay it yourself. So if you can't afford to pay her, you might as well turn it over to your insurance. That's what you have it for after all.

efflandt

If you can afford it, you pay it off yourself and that is that. If you cannot afford it, you let your insurance company handle it. After all, that is what you have it for (losses you cannot cover).

When a girl stopped abruptly in front of me when a railroad crossing started dinging while making a left turn on a green arrow and I tapped her, I sent her dad a check for the estimate, she did not show in court for my ticket (so I got out of that), and even got a safe driver letter from the Secretary of State when my license came up for renewal.

rrwillu

thank you for advice.
yes, i intend to pay.

1) if my insurance finds thru police, wouldn't they be obligated to pay?

2) how many days i can pass the days before calling insurance company? Do I have only 30 days to call my insurance company after which (after 30days) do they have right to decline to pay?

3) if tomorrow she calls police, should I be entitled to give my insurance card, drivers license etc., to the police? what information i MUST give?

I have already got the estimation from different companies on fixin the bumper and hoepfully we will resolve privately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">