• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car accident, not at fault but insurance lapsed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? I live in Maine. Today i was in a four car pile up. I was the third car to hit. I slid on mud and ice, hit the car in front of me. that car hit the car in front of her. Than another car smashed in back of me and pushed me again into the car in front of me.. My car just got out of the garage, i did about 1,700.00 in repairs in the last couple months. I was not sure, but i thought my insurance lapsed, and when i checked it did three days ago. My car is totalled completely, and i have to get to school and back. I would not have gone with out paying my insurance but i was layed up sick for a week and my car had been towed away for repairs. The accident was not my fault. But i had not insurance. The girl in front of me told the officer it was not my fault. The girl in front of her stopped very abruptly, and although i was paying attention, i slid and did not cause much damage at all. Will the girls insurance company pay for my car ( the one that rearended me) although my insurance ran out. I did get a ticket for no insurance, i told the officer i didn,t know if my insurance was still good. i am very worried. I have never been in a car wreck and i don't know what to do. I didn't go to the hospital, but i have a bruised face. The girl in the front went and the one in the back of me went. The girl i hit was fine and did not go to the hospital and drove away after the police report. I think they may have gotten whiplash and the other maybe a concushion. Please help! I don't know where to start. I am thankful we all have our lives still, but i am worried about a lawsuit because i didn't have insurance.

JETX

Of course, none of us know the full facts as to who hit whom and why, but GENERALLY, if you were moving and the car in front of you stops suddenly, you are liable. The reason is that you have an obligation to maintain sufficient spacing between you to allow you to stop safely.... even in a sudden stop as occured.
So, based on the above (if the insurance companies find that way),
"Will the girls insurance company pay for my car ( the one that rearended me) although my insurance ran out."
*** Probably not.

"but i am worried about a lawsuit because i didn't have insurance."
*** That is certainly a possibility.... and more likely with this many parties involved that SOMEONE will file a lawsuit. Naturally, part of the problem of your not having an insurance company to fall back on, is that YOU will have to deal with all the different issues that will come up.

Z

zappy

HAHAHA......... I was not sure, but i thought my
insurance lapsed, and when i checked it did three days ago.

Amamanda...

Just What on earth are you doing...Driving without insurance on mud and ice

>>>>and i have to get to school and back>>>>.

NO YOU DON'T......... you are stealing your parents HARD EARNED money...drop out.

geez what about a BUS.... i guess you really screwed yourself but good!

>>>>>>but i was layed up sick for a week <<<<<<

Have you heard Of a credit card or a checking account??????????

You could have called those nice people at the insurance company and paid it on the phone in 15 minutes or less....

>>>>>Will the girls insurance company pay for my car ( the one that rearended me) although my insurance ran out.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Maybe someday but NOT in the near future...why should they give you any money? You have no insurance and No lawyer for them to deal with..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">