• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Accident That Was Not My Fault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wingzfan13888

What is the name of your state?****VIRGINIA****

(I'm a 17 year old who lives with parents)Last tuesday I got in a car accident with another driver who was given a ticket by the police officer, and who was 100% at fault for the accident.He initially reported the accident online, but his insurance company is telling us that the accident is still "under investigation" because they have not been able to get in contact with him. The investigator for the insurance company said that the car was totalled and was beyond repair. Now they are demanding that we move the car from the initial place it was towed, to a different location so they dont have to pay to store it anymore. They claim that if we do this, that they will re-emburse us with the money spent, but we still have to find a way to put down the $400 for towing and lodging over the last week.

What rights do i have as to what i should do to get the insurance company to actually DO something in order for me to get my money and with what to do with my totaled car?

Last edited:

moburkes

Tell them to 1. pay the fee and 2. provide you with a rental
and that after that, they can move your car wherever they want to.

seniorjudge

Wingzfan13888 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?****VIRGINIA****

Last tuesday I got in a car accident with another driver who was given a ticket by the police officer, and who was 100% at fault for the accident.He initially reported the accident online, but his insurance company is telling us that the accident is still "under investigation" because they have not been able to get in contact with him. The investigator for the insurance company said that the car was totalled and was beyond repair. Now they are demanding that we move the car from the initial place it was towed, to a different location so they dont have to pay to store it anymore. They claim that if we do this, that they will re-emburse us with the money spent, but we still have to find a way to put down the $400 for towing and lodging over the last week.

What rights do i have as to what i should do to get the insurance company to actually DO something in order for me to get my money and with what to do with my totaled car?

Get everything in writing. (Where is your insurance company in all this?)

The other insurance company is not being unreasonable; work with them.

Move the car.

Wingzfan13888

My insurance company said they "cannot help" because i do not have collision on my car, I'm afraid that the other company will simply wait and wait and wait and i wont be able to get money from them for months!

moburkes

A reputable insurance company should not make you wait that long. If after a week or so, you are not receiving reasonable results, then contact an attorney (have your parents call, so it will seem more "legit") who will help speed the process along.

moburkes

When you receive the settlement from the insurance company, the attorney will take their cut. Nothing out of your pocket.

S

shell007

That is if the case is for personal injury not property damage.

The OP has mentioned nothing about personal injury.

S

shell007

The investigator for the insurance company said that the car was totalled and was beyond repair. Now they are demanding that we move the car from the initial place it was towed, to a different location so they dont have to pay to store it anymore. They claim that if we do this, that they will re-emburse us with the money spent, but we still have to find a way to put down the $400 for towing and lodging over the last week.

#1 If the insurance Co. claims that they will pay you back this $400.00 fee plus storage up to this point......GET THEIR AGREEMENT IN WRITTING FIRST and then proceed. Can you put it on a credit card or something?

#2 As for the car being totaled...the Ins. Co. should offer you "fair market value" for the car. This may not be the same as what you owe (if anything), but unless it was a new vehicle that had GAP insurance...this is all that they have to offer you.

#3 Although this is a tough situation for you...you should give the insurance Co. a reasonable amount of time to gather their facts. If everything that you are stating is true...you shouldn't have any difficulty getting what is owed to you.

Wingzfan13888

Thank you so much for your help, it is much appreciated...

one last question....im dealing with Geico as the other parties insurance company, what is the expected time span to allow them before i should involve a lawyer?

S

shell007

Well...you can suggest to them at any time that you WILL be consulting an attorney if you don't start seeing some results.

However....so that you don't come off as to harsh...I would call them and tell them that you will give them until the end of the week to start giving you some answers or you will proceed accordingly and then DO IT!

Another suggestion: It may be better to get one of your parent's involved in this. Due to the fact that you are only seventeen....any verbal or written contracts/agreements that you make with them (the ins. co.) may not be legally binding since you are under age.

Maybe someone will jump in here and clarify this age thing for us.

Good Luck :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">