+ Reply to Thread
    melmack23 is offline Junior Member

car accident on private property (school)

if someone hit me from the front as I was sitting still on private property should they not have received a ticket for this?? I live in Alabama and the accident happened on school property.
    racer72 is offline Senior Member
    Generally, traffic laws apply to public roadways only. Unless the other vehicle was being operated in a reckless manner, there is no reason to issue a ticket. The lack of a ticket does not relieve the other driver of his/her responsibility for their negligence.
    If you feel my answer is rude, mean, snarky or in anyway not to your liking, I did my job. You don't need to tell me.

No private messages, I do not reply to them.
    pmorrison2588 is offline Member
    The private property is not the matter. The matter is you were sitting still, and the car has hit you, and the driver is at fault. Thus you can surely ask for compensation.
    Proserpina is offline Senior Member
    The private property is not the matter. The matter is you were sitting still, and the car has hit you, and the driver is at fault. Thus you can surely ask for compensation.
    Really?

You sure that the private property issue is not the matter?
    ecmst12 is offline Senior Member
    Believe it or not, PMorrison is actually completely correct. Neither the private property nor the lack of citation change the fact that the other person is completely at fault for the accident.
    TheGeekess is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melmack23 View Post
    if someone hit me from the front as I was sitting still on private property should they not have received a ticket for this?? I live in Alabama and the accident happened on school property.
    I've rear-ended people on the public roads and byways of Alabama and haven't received a ticket. So what makes you think that who-ever hit you should get one?

Section 32-5A-114
    Vehicles entering highway from private road or roadway.

The driver of a vehicle about to enter or cross a roadway from any place other than another roadway shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles approaching on the roadway to be entered or crossed.
    (Acts 1980, No. 80-434, p. 604, 4-105.)
    http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/32-5A-114.htm

Section 32-5A-153
    Emerging from alley, driveway or building.

The driver of a vehicle emerging from an alley, building, private road or driveway within a business or residence district shall stop such vehicle immediately prior to driving onto a sidewalk or onto the sidewalk area extending across such alley, building entrance, road or driveway, or in the event there is no sidewalk area, shall stop at the point nearest the street to be entered where the driver has a view of approaching traffic thereon.
    (Acts 1980, No. 80-434, p. 604, 7-105.)
    http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/32-5A-153.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by ecmst12 View Post
    Believe it or not, PMorrison is actually completely correct. Neither the private property nor the lack of citation change the fact that the other person is completely at fault for the accident.
    Section 32-5A-114
    Vehicles entering highway from private road or roadway.

The driver of a vehicle about to enter or cross a roadway from any place other than another roadway shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles approaching on the roadway to be entered or crossed.
    (Acts 1980, No. 80-434, p. 604, 4-105.)
    http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/32-5A-114.htm
    What does that have to do with anything? OP was sitting still in the school parking lot when hit by another car.
    What does that have to do with anything? OP was sitting still in the school parking lot when hit by another car.
    Where in the school parking lot? In a parking place? At the junction with the road?
    Hm, he didn't say. I had assumed he was hit by another vehicle IN the same parking lot. But if he was waiting to merge onto the road and was hit by a car already ON the road, he may be at fault. HOWEVER, if that was the case, the police would PROBABLY not have designated the accident as occuring on private property.
    melmack23 is offline Junior Member
    I was behind the car that was pulling out of the parking lot. She had pulled out too far into the road and put car in reverse to backup. When she was finally attempting to pull onto the road, she slammed into the front of my vehicle as she did not place her car back into drive after backing up.
    HighwayMan is offline Senior Member
    Seems like this area is open to public motor vehicle traffic, so it does not matter if it was on the road, in the parking lot, etc. The other driver was at fault.

Makes no difference whether a traffic ticket was issued. Accidents happen all the time and no tickets get issued. That does not absolve the responsible party.
    Last edited by HighwayMan; 08-25-2010 at 12:47 PM.
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    OP - do you have witnesses to your version of the accident?
    You really waited a year to come back and add to this? You must have resolved it by now!
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    You really waited a year to come back and add to this? You must have resolved it by now!
    Wow -