• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car accident/Property damage.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pashtet

What is the name of your state? NY

Hi!

I had an accident, 100% the other driver's fault. The other driver's insurance company (Allstate) deems my car totaled and offers me $1100 for the car. I have three estimates from three different shops, all are around 4900. The Blue Book lists my car at 3880 retail. 1100 does not seem to be fair whatsoever. What can I do? Sue them? If I sue, do I sue them for the amount of repairs (4900) or KBB value (3880) ?

Thank you in advance for your advise!

ecmst12

KBB values are often inflated, but that's a big difference. Look for local ads and find out what cars similar to yours are actually selling for in your area. Use this information to make a counter offer to the insurance company. Before you sue, you need to negotiate.

december23

Total Loss Settlement

The value of your vehicle depends on several things. I would get the average retail price from not only KBB, but also NADA and Edmunds.com. As well as local listings for a vehicle that is the same age and model, with the same options. Then you have to take into consideration any prior damage you had on the vehicle because that will be deducted from the value of the vehicle as well. I wouldn't bother suing, but what I would do is gather that information and send a request in writing to your adjuster. If you are not getting anywhere with your adjuster, do not waste your time, ask for their supervisor and then their supervisor. The squeaky wheel does get the grease. Just make sure you have a reasonable assessment of the value of your vehicle. If you are rolling around in a 10 year old car that has lots of prior damage, rust and the paint is faded $1100 might be a generous offer.

moburkes

The value of your vehicle depends on several things. I would get the average retail price from not only KBB, but also NADA and Edmunds.com. As well as local listings for a vehicle that is the same age and model, with the same options. Then you have to take into consideration any prior damage you had on the vehicle because that will be deducted from the value of the vehicle as well. I wouldn't bother suing, but what I would do is gather that information and send a request in writing to your adjuster. If you are not getting anywhere with your adjuster, do not waste your time, ask for their supervisor and then their supervisor. The squeaky wheel does get the grease. Just make sure you have a reasonable assessment of the value of your vehicle. If you are rolling around in a 10 year old car that has lots of prior damage, rust and the paint is faded $1100 might be a generous offer.
Very good, detailed explanation. Much longer than the ones I usually offer!:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">