• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Accident - Reasonable Pain and Suffering Offer From Insurance Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rescal

What is the name of your state? Alabama

Was recently involved in a car accident. The other party was at fault (ran a stop sign at an intersection and T'boned me, hit me on the driver's side). Car damage totaled $8500. Medical bills totaled $155. Doctor diagnosed me with cervical strain (whiplash). I was prescribed medicine for pain, muscle relaxer, and an anti-inflammatory drug. I Experienced pain in my neck, headaches, and some back pain. Doctor did ex-ray. Medicine was prescribed for 7-30 days. I was told by doctor to refrain from going to gym (no jogging, no weightlifting, or streneous activities for about a week). I complied with these instructions and am fine now.

Although I haven't been offered anything yet for pain and suffering, I wanted to know what would be a reasonable offer from the insurance company? This should come up after my car is repaired.

TIA

Lynx 36

From what I know here I would give you $200. Whiplash causes a sore neck f/ a few days but it always goes away and leaves no lasting effects. I've had whiplash about a dozen times in my life and I never had to take pain meds f/ it. Sorry, not your day to win the insurance lottery. Be glad you weren't seriously hurt. Now if your leg had to be amputated "ching" "ching" "ching" you win the insurance lottery!!! :D

rescal

Lynx 36 said:
From what I know here I would give you $200. Whiplash causes a sore neck f/ a few days but it always goes away and leaves no lasting effects. I've had whiplash about a dozen times in my life and I never had to take pain meds f/ it. Sorry, not your day to win the insurance lottery. Be glad you weren't seriously hurt. Now if your leg had to be amputated "ching" "ching" "ching" you win the insurance lottery!!! :D
I am glad that both of us walked away with no major injuries. Based on your response, I will keep my day job ( :)). I do appreciate the insight.

TKS

Last edited:

Lynx 36

You may be able to haggle w/ them to get a little more money. It doesn't hurt to try and negotiate f/ a few more bucks.

rescal

Reasonable Pain and Suffering Offer From Insurance Company

Lynx 36 said:
You may be able to haggle w/ them to get a little more money. It doesn't hurt to try and negotiate f/ a few more bucks.
I do think I'm entitled to a little something for pain and suffering (very minor whiplash injuries). But as you have indicated, I don't expect to hit the "insurance lottery." I'm not much for haggling but will be mindful of your comments and observations. Thanks again.

TKS

You Are Guilty

It's very location-specific. Here in NYC, you could get ~$1k if you argued enough. I highly doubt Alabama will come close to that.

rescal

I see. Do you think the fact you're in the high rent district :) has some impact on the amount offered (NY v.s. AL)? Other than the insurance companies using past payouts (claims) as a guide (more pain and suffering gets you more money, makes since to me), are they just pulling a number out of a hat? I appreciate you're prospective.

TKS

teflon_jones

Insurance companies use their past experience to determine what to pay. $200 seems like a fair amount in this case. They could have offered you nothing, and you likely wouldn't be able to get more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">