• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car accident/rights/discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

koyemah

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Oklahoma. My son was recently in car accident. Hes 22, native american and was the passenger in the vehicle. His best friend also native american, 17 years old, was the driver of thier small truck, he died of his injuries. My son wasn't seriously injured, except for contusions and pain to his pack arm, neck and emotionally upset having holding his freind and keeping him warm until help arrived. They were traveling at 65 mph when the impact happened. When the accident happened my son flagged down help. Highway patrol, county police, bia police were at the scene of the accident. The highway patrol and others didn't take him to the hospital. They handcuffed him, took him to county, booked him and told him if anyone dies he was gonna be charged for manslaughter. He told them he needed to go to the hospital cause he was hurt adn that it wasnt thier fault. Later, the highway patrol called the county and told them to release him that they were not at fault, that the other driver was. We had to go pick him up from the county, take him to the indian hosptial where they transferred him to another hospital for cat scans. everyone at the accident were taken to the hospital expect for my son. the other driver and his baby were released w/no injuries. This happend the evening of Nov. 8 and today is Nov. 19 and we have no police report to see if this driver had car insurance, no return calls from the highway patrol officer. Both familys are lost in what to do. Do not know if this guy was intoxicated and if anything will be filed against this driver. my quesiton is 1. was my sons rights violated on how he was treated, being accused of an accident that wasnt thier fault, being arrested merely because they were native american youth. Also was his friends familys rights violated when they wanted their son transferred to a trauma center in okc but wasnt taken, were his chances might have been better but instead taken to a hospital that doesnt deal with trauma victims. Neither my son or his fren were drinking.

lwpat

What you need to do is to go down in person to the Highway Patrol office and request a copy of the accident report and the officer's notes. You should also ask for a copy of their grievance procedure. This would be the proper way to complain about the way your son was treated. The parents of the other boy are the ones who should request the report since it was his vehicle and he was driving.

Then you will need to contact an attorney who specializes in PI claims and consult with him. He can advise if you have a case and how to proceed. Typically there is no cost for a consultation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">