• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car accident, and signing of document

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbartos

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Mr. Shifflet backed into my car, and calimed it was my fault. I was already 75% out of my space and he was in his. I saw his reverse lights go on, and stopped my car, wondering what he was doing. He started to back out, and then sped up right into my car, so I had no time to react. He forced me to sign a paper saying it was my fault, threatening to sue me, but there were no witnesses to the signing. I have the plates of a witness that saw what happened, but no name and number, he didn't speak English.

Happy Trails

jbartos said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

Mr. Shifflet backed into my car, and calimed it was my fault. I was already 75% out of my space and he was in his. I saw his reverse lights go on, and stopped my car, wondering what he was doing. He started to back out, and then sped up right into my car, so I had no time to react. He forced me to sign a paper saying it was my fault, threatening to sue me, but there were no witnesses to the signing. I have the plates of a witness that saw what happened, but no name and number, he didn't speak English.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Do you have any legal questions?

jbartos

My question is, who is at fault for this accident? Does the document have any leagal standing if taken to court? If he or I decide to file a suit, who has the stronger case. Is this worth taking to court?

Happy Trails

jbartos said:
My question is, who is at fault for this accident?
By what you describe, it would be him. Which makes me curious as he!!, why you would sign a paper admitting fault.

Does the document have any leagal standing if taken to court?
The judge is certainly going to wonder why you signed it. How are you going to explain why you signed it and that you didn't mean to take the blame?

If he or I decide to file a suit, who has the stronger case. Is this worth taking to court?
IMO, he has a better case. It will be your word against the other driver's word, and he has you admitting fault in writing.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">