• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Accident Thursday

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

downey36

I live in Kentucky. I was on my way to work Thursday morning when I was involved in a car wreck. Both cars were totaled & I was at fault. I didn't have insurance..I'm scared to death I'm going to jail...Can anyone tell me if they think I'll go to jail..I know I'll be going to court over the no insurance but since there was a wreck involved is that a jailable offense or can they take my license?:confused: :(

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

downey36 said:
I live in Kentucky. I was on my way to work Thursday morning when I was involved in a car wreck. Both cars were totaled & I was at fault. I didn't have insurance..I'm scared to death I'm going to jail...Can anyone tell me if they think I'll go to jail..I know I'll be going to court over the no insurance but since there was a wreck involved is that a jailable offense or can they take my license?:confused: :(
I doubt you will go to jail, but if the other party has all his ducks in a row, and sues you, instead of a insurance company, (That you do not have),

You are scrood!

JETX

apie1 said:
since the both cars were totalled, the inurance company will most likely make there clients whole by paying off the vehicle if there was any money left over and putting them into a new one should it be within there policy limits.
What the hell are you talking about??
The other drivers insurance will give THEIR policyholder FMV (Fair Market Value) for their vehicle. They will NOT "pay off their vehicle".... nor will they put them "into a new one".

If you can't provide an ACCURATE response.... don't respond.

JETX

downey36 said:
Can anyone tell me if they think I'll go to jail.
If/when you get a ticket for driving without insurance, the court could sentence you to a "$500-$1,000 fine and/or up to 90 days in jail". So, yes, jail time is possible.... though unlikely if this is your first traffic citation.

I know I'll be going to court over the no insurance but since there was a wreck involved is that a jailable offense or can they take my license?
The other driver or their insurance company will likely sue you to recover their damages. And yes, without proof of insurance, you will get a traffic ticket (an expensive one) and yes, it is likely that your license will be suspended.

For more: http://transportation.ky.gov/drlic/Drivers_Manual/Sections/dm5.pdf

Litigation!

My response:

I think JetX would agree with me that Argentina is beautiful and sunny this time of year. Housing is fairly inexpensive too, and getting an Argentine driver's license is a snap!

IAAL

JETX

Litigation! said:
I think JetX would agree with me that Argentina is beautiful and sunny this time of year. Housing is fairly inexpensive too, and getting an Argentine driver's license is a snap!
I agree.... but prefer Brazil. The beaches at Ilha de São Sebastião are incredible.... and the 'view' isn't bad either!! :D
I also like Praia do Camburi.

mlk1978

downey36 said:
I was cited for no insurance 8 years ago but there was no accident.

That was your first offense, and you were lucky. Now if it is still on your record (which isn't likely if it was 8 years ago) you would be considered habitual. But this time there is an accident involved which could leave a big impact on what the courts will decide in your case. It could go both ways. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">