• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In car accident with uninsured motorist, need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mtrai760

Tuesday morning while driving to school I was struck nearly head on when another driver decided to make a left turn in an intersection without yielding. He stated immediatly that he did not have any car insurance, while I have full coverage and uninsured motorist coverage. He was cited by the police at the scene for negligant driving and no proof of insurance. Today I found out my 97 Maxima is totaled. GEICO told me the value of my car, minus deductable, is $10,500, and I owe $11,600 on the car, which means I will still have to pay $1100 for a car I cannot drive. My question is, what can I do about the driver? Can I sue him? I have paid almost $10,000 so far for this car, that is money I am never going to see again, plus I lost my car, it does not seem fair that he get's away with that. Sure, my insurance company will sue him and try and get there money, but I want repayment as well. What can I do? Ive also missed 3 days of work and have to go to physical therapy for the next two weeks... :(

Please help!

JETX

Appeal the valuation from your insurance company. Explain to them that YOUR insurance is not dealing with you in good faith (insurance companies HATE to hear that one... since they have liability). Also, be sure to let the insurance company know that you have lost wages and personal injury.

Sounds to me like you are not hammering on their door enough.

M

mtrai760

Thanks for the info. Anyone else have advice on this? :(

A

aahlee

Yes you have to bang on their door claiming bad faith for offering you too little to pay off your loan, and for not paying for you medical costs.

This is why its not a good idea to buy a new car unless you really need it, (since it depriciates so much) and can write off the expenses.

so your $10,000 you lost was becuase you wanted to throw money out the window, no one forced you to buy an expensive car.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

aahlee said:
Yes you have to bang on their door claiming bad faith for offering you too little to pay off your loan, and for not paying for you medical costs.

This is why its not a good idea to buy a new car unless you really need it, (since it depriciates so much) and can write off the expenses.

so your $10,000 you lost was becuase you wanted to throw money out the window, no one forced you to buy an expensive car.

**A: good grief. Must you once again repeat what Halket stated?
You are not giving the writer any new advice.
Aahyes Aahlee, you must be a happy roach the forum troll clone.

JETX

Ahlee, your stupid, inane and useless posts are about to get you kicked from the forum.... this is a warning. If you have nothing of value to post, don't. If you continue to violate the rules of the forum, you will be gone!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">