• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car accident- what happens now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikael78

What is the name of your state? NY

I was driving down a busy street and someone was double parked in front of me. I was forced to merge quickly and clipped the double parked car. I'm not sure what kind of damage was done, but I gave my phone # to the guy who was double parked. They didn't call the cops and neither insurance company has been contacted. Several days later we've agreed to meet and look at the damages. What's my next move? Am I liable? Was it his fault for being double parked? Am I in better shape if no police report was taken? What happens if they call the cops now?

moburkes

Yes, you're 100% liable. You are supposed to be paying enough attention that you see a stopped vehicle in your path.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">