• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car burst into FLAMES!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anabanana

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL

We bought a used Saab convertible, paid for it yesterday. Appeared to be in lovely condition. Dealer put two new tires on it for me and even turned the rotors because I thought the brakes were a bit soft. I picked it up about 6 p.m. today, got about three miles from the lot, and the car fizzled and died as I was pulling into the driveway. It started again, tho, so I turned it off and went into the house, came back out about a half hour later to leave and started it again and there was a big crackle and fizzle and sparks and smoke came out from under the hood. Kids and I jumped out and within minutes the vehicle was fully engulfed in flames.

A) Is there some kind of 72-hour return period for vehicles? The fireman told me there was and the cop told me I have some kind of return right, but he didn't know what exactly it is.

B) Since we paid yesterday and transferred title, whose insurance should handle this? I don't want it on my puny little consumer policy when Mr. Dealer could absorb it much better on his. And what about cleaning all the melted, scorched car goo out of the pavers in my driveway? If I make a claim against my homeowners policy, that will affect my rate, to say nothing of the deductible.

Shouldn't the dealer just be a prince about this and just give me back my money with a sincere apology and offer to fix my driveway? Please tell me this won't be complicated.

You Are Guilty

anabanana said:
Please tell me this won't be complicated.
Yet another reason why people should have a mechanic check out the car before they purchase.

Anyway, I think you already know what you're in for, and it's not pretty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">