• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car damaged by bump in parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unsmart

What is the name of your state? Michigan
When I was leaving my insurance agents [of all places] my van bottomed out and damaged my transmission. I called to make a claim and they inform me that I'm liable for the accident and it will raise my insurance 20% for the next 3 years. I will also have to pay a $500 deductible because it's my fault.
What really gets me is when I told them what happened the lady said they know it's and issue but there not responsible for it. She likened it to a pot hole in the road and stated that the state wasn't liable for damage done by pot holes and they weren't for the steep incline[close to 45 deg angle] in the driveway. This seems like a cop out to me because I know you are responsible for maintaining a safe environment or at least posting a warning of know hazards.
I feel like I should take pictures of the incline with a level on it showing that it is extreme and no sign was posted to warn of this. I'm not sure what to do here,I really feel they are somewhat liable for the damage. any help would be much appreciated.
thanks

ecmst12

You are at fault for driving too fast for the road condition (steep incline). The property owner is not negligent just because there happens to be a steep incline on the driveway. You are responsible for maintaining control of your vehicle even in the presence of stationary obstacles.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">