• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car damaged by tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kwong

What is the name of your state? CA

A tree fell on a car parked in driveway due to storm (act of nature).

Who is liable for the car damage?
1. car's insurance (no comprehensive)
2. home owner insurer of where car was car was parked
3. home owner insurer of where tree fell from

If no insurer will handle the claim, is the home owner of the tree legally liable for car damage?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kwong said:
What is the name of your state? CA

A tree fell on a car parked in driveway due to storm (act of nature).

Who is liable for the car damage?
1. car's insurance (no comprehensive)
2. home owner insurer of where car was car was parked
3. home owner insurer of where tree fell from

If no insurer will handle the claim, is the home owner of the tree legally liable for car damage?

My response:

The owner of the car is on the hook. Storms knock down trees, and that's a fact of life. That's why comprehensive is sold. If the car owner didn't buy that coverage, then that's the chance he took.

End of story.

IAAL

HomeGuru

Barmstrong said:
What type of legal coverage do you have?

**A: what does that mean? How is the type of legal coverage pertinent to the writer's question?
Most people have no legal coverage such as a prepaid legal service.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Barmstrong

Prepaid Legal Coverage

I got it, only $25/month and they handle all legal problems; it works!

HomeGuru

Re: Prepaid Legal Coverage

Barmstrong said:
I got it, only $25/month and they handle all legal problems; it works!

**A: your 2 posts on this thread does not answer the writer's question in any way. You are just here to peddle your legal prepaid service which is in direct violation of the website terms and conditions.

Last edited:
A

aahlee

Kwong:

The only hope is if you can find out from friends and neighbors if the tree was rotted, or the homeowner knew it was dangerous and about to fall anyway, and did not warn people not to park under it, then the homeowner is fully liable.

but a storm? maybe you should have gotten wet and moved the car to a safer location.

HomeGuru

aahlee said:
Kwong:

The only hope is if you can find out from friends and neighbors if the tree was rotted, or the homeowner knew it was dangerous and about to fall anyway, and did not warn people not to park under it, then the homeowner is fully liable.

but a storm? maybe you should have gotten wet and moved the car to a safer location.
**A: post noted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">