• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Hit after hitting puddle, spinning. My fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sphynon

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA

Hi, I was driving my vehilce on the turnpike when it was raining very hard, I hit some standing water and lost control of my vehicle, it spun around facing traffic, as I watched it coming toward me, I trying to move my car, but it stalled out, I saw everyone slowing down except the one drive who was heading towards me, she didn't even attempt to stop, she slammed into me, I called the police and we both told our stores, she lied and said there was a car in front of her who went around me jsut before I spun out of control, so she didn't have time to see me. She then started complaining about her arm hurting about 30 minutes later, then she suddenly demanded an ambulance come and take her away.

Am I at fault? The trooper said I was at fault because I failed to stay in a single lane, and she wasn't at fault because she had no time to react. Now she is trying to sue me and has already collected $8,700 for bumper and hood damage to her older ford focus. :confused:

Im trying to get a job that requires a 2 year clean driving record with not at fault accidents, how can I get out of this?

Thank You!

S

seniorjudge

With all these complications, you need a lawyer yesterday if you want to keep your driving record clean.

Yes, you are at fault. If you had your vehicle under control, you would not have had a wreck.

stephenk

$8700 in damage is not just a fender bender. If your insurance already paid to repair her car, your carrier has already determined you to be at fault.

Discuss your questions with your insurance claims representative.

If you have already been served with legal papers, get them to your insurance company ASAP. they will provide you with an attorney.

teflon_jones

Where was your car located when she hit it? Were you in the vehicle? Was the vehicle running? Did you have your emergency flashers on? Did you contact police before she hit you to let them know about your disabled vehicle?

Based on the woman's story, she's at least partially at fault. It doesn't matter if there was a car in front of her that swerved. If she was so close to that car that she then couldn't avoid you, she was following that vehicle too close. Also, she was traveling at an excessive rate of speed that was not safe for the current road conditions if she couldn't avoid you. You should turn this into your insurance company and let them fight it out with her. Just because you did something wrong by driving too fast for the conditions, and spinning out, doesn't mean that somebody else can then hit you claim it's entirely your fault.

S

seniorjudge

seniorjudge said:
With all these complications, you need a lawyer yesterday if you want to keep your driving record clean.

Yes, you are at fault. If you had your vehicle under control, you would not have had a wreck.
I have changed my mind after re-reading your post IF you were stopped when she hit you. You are not 100% at fault.

But...get that lawyer.

Steve: "$8700 in damage is not just a fender bender. If your insurance already paid to repair her car, your carrier has already determined you to be at fault."

You can sneeze in your car and cause that much damage these days!
:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">