• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car hit my building

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katstevens

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I own an auto repair shop and a woman drove through the front wall of the building, through the shop taking out the main suppport beam and slammed into a truck that was parked along side the back wall of the shop. Needless to say, there is alot of damage, both to the building and my property that was in the shop and now I'm temporarily out of business until the repairs are completed or I move to another location.

Here is my question:

1) This just happened the other day so I haven't found out how much her insurance policy is for, but suppose her policy limit doesn't cover all of the property damages and lost income. Someone was telling me that if she owns a home that we could get her homeowner's insurance to cover the rest. Is this true?

katstevens said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I own an auto repair shop and a woman drove through the front wall of the building, through the shop taking out the main suppport beam and slammed into a truck that was parked along side the back wall of the shop. Needless to say, there is alot of damage, both to the building and my property that was in the shop and now I'm temporarily out of business until the repairs are completed or I move to another location.

Here is my question:

1) This just happened the other day so I haven't found out how much her insurance policy is for, but suppose her policy limit doesn't cover all of the property damages and lost income. Someone was telling me that if she owns a home that we could get her homeowner's insurance to cover the rest. Is this true?
If her policy limits aren't adequate to cover her damages, then you go through your business insurance for the rest - including business income, assuming you have that coverage, for the income you lose while out of business. Your insurer will then subrogate your claim to recoup what they pay. The liability portion of her homeowners is for claims that occur on her property, not in her vehicle. If you've not already done so, check to see if she has a personal umbrella over her home and auto policies as that will provide higher limits.

JETX

katstevens said:
Someone was telling me that if she owns a home that we could get her homeowner's insurance to cover the rest. Is this true?
No. Her homeowner insurance will not cover this type of accident. Where is YOUR insurance??

You Are Guilty

If her homeowner's won't cover it, why would the existence of a HO umbrella matter?

And I'll bet you a shiny new nickel that the underinsured motorist doesn't have an auto umbrella policy, either :D

You Are Guilty said:
If her homeowner's won't cover it, why would the existence of a HO umbrella matter?

And I'll bet you a shiny new nickel that the underinsured motorist doesn't have an auto umbrella policy, either :D
It wouldn't be an HO umbrella, it would be a personal umbrella that goes over the HO and the auto policy.

You Are Guilty

InsuranceLadyAZ said:
By the way, the OP doesn't know yet that the other driver is underinsured. Although, I wouldn't bet even a penny that she isn't.
My crystal balls tell me that you are correct!

Funny how the people who tend to have adequate coverage are the ones who don't drive through people's buildings, no?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">