• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car hit while parked Valet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

portwama

What is the name of your state? New York

A week ago my car was parked at the local gym in the valet section. When I returned after my workout, the valet alerted me that a gym member who was parked in the valet section (they arrived before the valet did, therefore parking in their section of the lot) did a 3-point turn to exit the lot and hit into my car. My car sustained over $1500 worth of damage. The Valet attempted to stop the car but the person just drove away. Unfortunately the valet only got a partial plate number and the color/make of the car. So far this hasn't been enough for the police to trace and the investigation has hit a wall.

My questions are: Do I have legal action against either the gym or the valet company since my car was in their care? The gym doesn't enforce parking rules in the valet section prior to valet hours, so can I claim that they have not provided a safe parking lot for the valet to operate? There were no cameras in the lot, another thing that the gym could have done to assist members and I have also spoken to another member who said that their car was also hit in the same lot. The lot is also grossly undersized for the gym - that is why the valet service was called in.

Any advice that anyone can provide would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You need to recover against the driver who hit your car...or turn it over to your own insurance.

tranquility

I think the level of care which is required is ordinary care. It seems like they performed to at least that level of care. The person who hit your car is the one responsible, not the gym. They did nothing wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">