• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car hit while standing still

• Thread starter snowbird_from_pa
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

snowbird_from_pa

I lived for a short time in a small town in Ohio. One day, I was sitting in my car in a parking lot of a restaurant which was a very tiny lot (in a alley) where the cars had to stick way out diagonally side by side and cars would pull into the alley from the main street.

Well, I happened to be the first car parked there on the end. An elderly woman pulled in the alley from the main street and clipped my car. She got out and apologised and told me, "I didn't see you". Well, before leaving the scene, I called the police to do everything the legal way, and when they arrived it was apparent that the lady and the officer knew each other. The restaurant owner came out and hugged the elderly lady like they were either family or close friends. (This was a VERY small town).

Well, guess who is being blamed for the accident?! Of course, me. No matter that I was sitting still. After talking to the cop, the old lady's story changed from "I'm sorry. I didn't see you". to "she hit me". Now I'm being harassed by a lawyer out of state who has claimed that they have a court judgement against me over there and that they are going to garnish my bank accounts, take any property I own (which is none), and that they are taking steps to have my license revoked. I have an excellent driving record for the last 22 years, no accidents as I am a very careful driver. I even get a good driver discount on my insurance.

My question is this: Can another state get someone's license revoked in a different state?
and can they garnish someone's SSI disability income? Thanks to all who reply. P.S. I had insurance there and this day was the only day that apparently, I was without insurance when my payment was en route by mail to the insurance co. I had only 1 day of lapsed insurance and this was the day.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

snowbird_from_pa said:
I lived for a short time in a small town in Ohio. One day, I was sitting in my car in a parking lot of a restaurant which was a very tiny lot (in a alley) where the cars had to stick way out diagonally side by side and cars would pull into the alley from the main street.

Well, I happened to be the first car parked there on the end. An elderly woman pulled in the alley from the main street and clipped my car. She got out and apologised and told me, "I didn't see you". Well, before leaving the scene, I called the police to do everything the legal way, and when they arrived it was apparent that the lady and the officer knew each other. The restaurant owner came out and hugged the elderly lady like they were either family or close friends. (This was a VERY small town).

Well, guess who is being blamed for the accident?! Of course, me. No matter that I was sitting still. After talking to the cop, the old lady's story changed from "I'm sorry. I didn't see you". to "she hit me". Now I'm being harassed by a lawyer out of state who has claimed that they have a court judgement against me over there and that they are going to garnish my bank accounts, take any property I own (which is none), and that they are taking steps to have my license revoked. I have an excellent driving record for the last 22 years, no accidents as I am a very careful driver. I even get a good driver discount on my insurance.

My question is this: Can another state get someone's license revoked in a different state?
and can they garnish someone's SSI disability income? Thanks to all who reply. P.S. I had insurance there and this day was the only day that apparently, I was without insurance when my payment was en route by mail to the insurance co. I had only 1 day of lapsed insurance and this was the day.
My response:

Well, it makes no difference now whether or not you were at fault for the accident. The fact is, you failed to defend the action, nor file a countersuit against the lady. So, you sat on your rights, and let the chips fall where they may. So, in the eyes of the law, you were at fault.

Yes, they can have your license revoked by letting Ohio know that you had no insurance, and then Ohio will report the matter, and the judgment, to the DMV in your current State.

Insofar as your SSI is concerned, it's safe from attachment. In order to keep it safe, you should never commingle any other money in the account where your SSI is deposited. But, the rest of your assets are subject to attachment and sale to pay the judgment.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">