• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car impounded for my dui, but I'm not owner -- who's responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcfan

What is the name of your state? California

When arrested for DUI, I was driving a car I'd recently purchased from a coworker. The problem is, though I'd given him $$, he hadn't given me the pink slip yet (kept forgetting). Since the car wasn't in my name, it was impounded. Now my co-worker is still not getting the car put in my name (he's an idiot) and weeks are going by, and the fee is increasing. I feel that it is now his problem and that I no longer want to get the car out of impound. He's just a jerk and doesn't think it's important to get me the pink slip while these fees go rising.

My question is this: if nobody ever gets the car out of impound, who will be held financially responsible for it? Me (I was driving it when arrested) Or him (it's still in his name)?

Thanks!

Litigation!

dcfan said:
What is the name of your state? California

When arrested for DUI, I was driving a car I'd recently purchased from a coworker. The problem is, though I'd given him $$, he hadn't given me the pink slip yet (kept forgetting). Since the car wasn't in my name, it was impounded. Now my co-worker is still not getting the car put in my name (he's an idiot) and weeks are going by, and the fee is increasing. I feel that it is now his problem and that I no longer want to get the car out of impound. He's just a jerk and doesn't think it's important to get me the pink slip while these fees go rising.

My question is this: if nobody ever gets the car out of impound, who will be held financially responsible for it? Me (I was driving it when arrested) Or him (it's still in his name)?

Thanks!

My response:

Him. Also, he could have mitigated the damages by getting the car out. So, when he sues you, remember to defend the lawsuit on that ground.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">