• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Insurance company will only pay part of my car rental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MYC

What is the name of your state? California

My car was in the repair shop for six days. The damage estimated two days of repair time therefore insurance company will only pay for two days.

I want to know who is responsible for paying rest of my car rental bill - the Insurance of the person that hit me or the Repair shop?

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If there is a valid reason for the extra time (ie: backorder of parts), then the other party is responsible...
Who's insurance is paying the rental to begin with?

MYC

more info - issue with repair shop workmanship is the delay

Car was in the shop Wednesday they promise to finish the job Friday. When the repair shop called me Friday night to get my car - I have to leave it again. I was disappointed with the repair. Bad workmanship of back bumper repair - few noticeable paint scratch and the left side is not fully attached to car. Repair shop is close weekend they fixed the car Monday the following week. That's the 4 days delay in the shop.

The Insurance of the vehicle that hit me was responsible in paying for all the damages and car rental. Except they will only pay for two days of car rental.

note:
The driver of the vehicle that hit me doesn't have a driver's license and own insurance. The vehicle registration is under his name and the vehicle insurance is under his sister.

Zigner

Car was in the shop Wednesday they promise to finish the job Friday. When the repair shop called me Friday night to get my car - I have to leave it again. I was disappointed with the repair. Bad workmanship of back bumper repair - few noticeable paint scratch and the left side is not fully attached to car. Repair shop is close weekend they fixed the car Monday the following week. That's the 4 days delay in the shop.

The Insurance of the vehicle that hit me was responsible in paying for all the damages and car rental. Except they will only pay for two days of car rental.

note:
The driver of the vehicle that hit me doesn't have a driver's license and own insurance. The vehicle registration is under his name and the vehicle insurance is under his sister.
You will need to sue the driver & owner of the other vehicle (who happen to be the same person)
Also, you won't be able to accept the 2 days because they will have a release for you to sign that waives your right to further reimbursement.

ecmst12

Actually since it was the repair shop's fault that it had to stay longer because they did a sub-par job, THEY should pay for the extra days of rental cost.

Zigner

Actually since it was the repair shop's fault that it had to stay longer because they did a sub-par job, THEY should pay for the extra days of rental cost.
That's a good point too. But, ultimately, our OP should not be responsible... :)

ecmst12

Either way, I don't think the insurance company is required to do that. It would be nice if they did, but legally speaking, I think the at-fault insurance company is only responsible for the time it should have taken to repair the car, unless the insurance company picked the shop and is guaranteeing the repairs done there. If not, OP will have to pay for the rental and then sue the shop in small claims court if they refuse to reimburse him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">