• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car insurance denied to cover my stolen car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

supervipchicago

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I just had my car stolen and i was paying full cover The reason that they giving to me is because i provided false information's because my license was suspended which is not true at all. When my insurance agent run my driver license in their system it came up suspended so i explained to them that was done cuz of child support payment and i was going thru court litigation's to resolve. So they went ahead by providing me full coverage. What should i do now?? i would like to represent myself on court because i am in financial difficulties and i was hopping someone can guide me to the right way to fill forms necessary for the court. I also would like to know the Illinois insurance law regarding the ones that have suspended insurance. Are insurance obligated to provide insurance if the license is suspended??
thank you in advance

OHRoadwarrior

Read your policy. I think you will find it disclaims coverage to unlicensed drivers. Your license is suspended, regardless of the reason. Consider it a penalty for not paying support.

FlyingRon

Now wait a cotton picken minute. It would be one thing if he was DRIVING and got in an accident, but to deny a claim on someone stealing his car while parked for not having a license?

cyjeff

Now wait a cotton picken minute. It would be one thing if he was DRIVING and got in an accident, but to deny a claim on someone stealing his car while parked for not having a license?
That is why reading the policy is so important.

Most insurance companies will refuse to cover a car owned and used by only a driver with a suspended license.

Their way of NOT supporting illegal behavior.

There is other insurance available to cover an ASSET that is not to be driven but it is different than automobile insurance.

supervipchicago

Now you are right that i had to pay my child support but you dont know the circumstances on which i am going thru so thats my problem and i am dealing with that but coming back to my insurance I insured my car thru a broker and they found me this insurance company which it wasnt very expensive, When i signed a contract with my broker they didnt gave me any policy to read. I simply signed the contract. And my broker was aware of my license was suspended and they didnt told me that i cant insure m car. And even when i was paying the insurance that my broker found for me they didnt even send me a policy to read. So thats why i am here to see whats my options. Their letter sent to me was that i misrepresented myself which is not true

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Now you are right that i had to pay my child support but you dont know the circumstances on which i am going thru so thats my problem and i am dealing with that but coming back to my insurance I insured my car thru a broker and they found me this insurance company which it wasnt very expensive, When i signed a contract with my broker they didnt gave me any policy to read. I simply signed the contract. And my broker was aware of my license was suspended and they didnt told me that i cant insure m car. And even when i was paying the insurance that my broker found for me they didnt even send me a policy to read. So thats why i am here to see whats my options. Their letter sent to me was that i misrepresented myself which is not true
Betcha the contract you signed stated that you had a VALID license. You DID misrepresent yourself.

Sophistry

You should talk to a local attorney who specializes in insurance law. You may have a claim against the broker for failing to tell the carrier that you didn't have a license. You should bring your denial letter, policy and application when you meet with him.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You should bring your denial letter, policy and application when you meet with him.
He has one of those three items. Besides, the application that states that he DOES have a valid license is going to really mess him up :rolleyes:

justalayman

That is why reading the policy is so important.

Most insurance companies will refuse to cover a car owned and used by only a driver with a suspended license.

Their way of NOT supporting illegal behavior.

There is other insurance available to cover an ASSET that is not to be driven but it is different than automobile insurance.
there is nothing illegal about owning a car, including purchasing a registration, even if the owner does not have a license. Driving the car would be illegal but since this car was parked, there were no laws being broken and the lack of a license had nothing to do with the theft. Therefor, there is no justification for denying coverage due to the OP not having a license.

as to other insurance available to cover an asset: when storing a vehicle, I continue the insurance, minus collision, on my vehicles. I see no reason to purchase any other insurance.

OHRoadwarrior

there is nothing illegal about owning a car, including purchasing a registration, even if the owner does not have a license. Driving the car would be illegal but since this car was parked, there were no laws being broken and the lack of a license had nothing to do with the theft. Therefor, there is no justification for denying coverage due to the OP not having a license.
Again, I say he needs to read his policy. I am sure the idea that a person not possessing a DL, upon having a serious accident, might dump the car in the lake and report it stolen, has been accounted for in the policy.

ecmst12

I think it's rather unlikely that the policy says you must have a valid license to own the car or be covered under the policy. You need to CALL the insurance company and tell them to send you the poliy, then READ IT.

OHRoadwarrior

I think it's rather unlikely that the policy says you must have a valid license to own the car or be covered under the policy. You need to CALL the insurance company and tell them to send you the poliy, then READ IT.
I bet you had to have a valid license to GET the policy, at the very least. Therefore OP, knowingly or not, lied on the application.

justalayman

I bet you had to have a valid license to GET the policy, at the very least. Therefore OP, knowingly or not, lied on the application.
I wouldn't bet on having to have a valid license to obtain a policy. I know, at least in my experiences, that it is not a requirement. I have known people that have owned cars but have lost their licenses for whatever reason but insured vehicles with the intent of others driving the vehicle. The owner ends up being an excluded party. As such, it would not affect how a stolen vehicle is dealt with, at least, as long as it wasn't a carjacking and the owner was the driver.

OHRoadwarrior

We can continue to speculate and debate until infinity. The bottom line is what OP's policy says. Therefore, we can only suggest why they denied him and give him a direction to look. I did that many posts ago. The rest of this thread seems to be mental masturbation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">