• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car insurance giving me issues on damage estimate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikerms

Hello all,

I am seeking some advice on my issue I'm having with my auto insurance. I am in the state of California and recently filed a claim to get my rear bumper fixed from a minor parking lot accident. Since the beginning of process, it's been a pain dealing with my adjuster over the phone. I picked the shop of my choice and they are perfectly fine with that of course but they are forcing me to get an estimate from an approved shop first. They don't want to send out an adjuster to do the estimate but rather get the guy behind the desk at this approved shop to write it up.

The thing is that the shop I took it to already knows that they're going to need someone to come out from the insurance company after they remove the bumper to inspect for further damages. The first estimate they want me to get will likely be a cheap one and the shop I took it to will re-estimate and write a new one. The guy even told me at the shop this is what will always happen because insurance companies always want to cut corners and get the lowest estimate. This means that for sure an adjuster will need to come onsite to inspect it. The shop I took it to deals with my insurance company a lot and even they know my insurance is giving me a really hard time for them to send someone out. The insurance is claiming that if my vehicle is drivable then I have to take it into their express shop.

I can never of course get through to speak to a supervisor or a manger or whoever is at the highest level. My shop guy even tried to himself many times and they have me going in circles. Since I work out of town during the week I didn't have the time to take it to this approved shop and it was much easier for me to drop it off at the shop of my choice. I already got my rental but my insurance is refusing to offer any assistance until I get an estimate from their shop and will cut my rental off. Is my insurance allowed to do this and force me to go get an estimate from their approved shop?

ecmst12

Just get the estimate. It's just a starting point anyway, and it's going to take you more time to argue about it than it will to just do it.

adjusterjack

Is my insurance allowed to do this and force me to go get an estimate from their approved shop?
Yes.

Read your policy. There is a section entitled Duties in the Event of a Loss (or words to that effect) and says something like this:

A person seeking Coverage For Damage To
Your Auto must also:
3. Permit us to inspect and appraise the
damaged property before its repair or
disposal.
The "us" in that provision includes any representative of the insurance company including a repair shop authorized by the insurance company to inspect on its behalf.

If you want your claim paid you'll need to take your car to the insurance company's shop. You still have the choice of using your own shop but the insurance company will pay based on its own estimate and you'll pay the difference or, hopefully, your shop will do the work based on the insurance company's estimate. Then, if your shop finds any hidden damage on tear-down, your shop can deal with the company adjuster for a supplement.

mikerms

I get what you guys are saying. The thing is that the inspector at the approved site is not going to remove the bumper to inspect damage from underneath. The bodyshop guy I took it to said he's going to need a supplement either way after he removes the bumper. He deals with my insurance company all the time for these claims and this is a first he's ever dealt with from these guys being a hassle. I already know my insurance is trying to save every dollar but they also make it hard on themselves too. On a side note I'm looking into an attorney since they didn't fully investigate the accident and are giving me more blame instead of 50/50. Being that the other person uses the same insurance with only liability, they know they'll lose more money if they had given him all the blame. So to come up they decide to give me the majority of it since I'm the only one paying the deductible.

In the end I know better to stay away from this company and just pay more for a tier 1 insurance.

ecmst12

The initial estimate is ALWAYS done before any teardown. A supplement is pretty much always needed. It's not a big deal. Just go with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">