• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Jacked by Kids!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NoLesB

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I was car jacked at gun point While i was sitting in my parked car. The jackers took the vehicle and crashed it.They found the suspects who later condfessed 2 the crime. But they both are juviniles and are foster kids (wards of the state).The police towed my car 2 the crime lab and 2 the local pound(at my expense)for fingerprints.The police even took my steering wheel for fingerprints & eveidence!(I never got it back).I had no FULL coverge at the time. And repair damages are estimated at $8,000.I lost wages from work due to this and suffer mental stress from the whole situation.There criminal case is still pending because the kids are up for 16 felony counts from other crimes committed the same week!It makes no sense for these young kids to commit adult crimes past city curfew & nobody be held accountable because they are kids. my questions are:

1) Are the legal guardians Liable for property damage caused by these kids in court?
2) Should thier Social worker and DCFS be liable for damages in court? (it is their job to look after the kids and obviously they were not doing their job.)
3) Are the forementioned parties liable for lost wages from work? I did lose my means of trans portation.
4)Even thuough the car was parked at the time and i had no isurance is'nt it still property damage?
5) if the gaurdians and Child agency (who is employed by the state) are not responsible who is?
I cant sue juveniles who are going to prison.

Last edited:

C

CombatTN88

It is sad to hear that the court system has been easy on kids which nobody can be accountable for.

racer72

1. What do you mean by legal guardians? The parents probably don't care or they don't have parents. Foster parents are protected by law from the actions of their charges. The state is also protected by law. '

2. Also protected by law. These folks are over worked and they can't look after them 24 hours a day. If kids want out of where they are living, they will get out. You can't lock them all up in jail.

3. No.

4. If you intend on trying to make a claim against your home owners insurance, forget it. You policy will exclude all motor vehicles except under certain situations, like your house burning down.

5. The only real option you have at this time is to see if your state or city has a fund for compensation to victims of crime. You gambled by not having insurance and you are going to lose.

N

NoLesB

Gaurdians of juvenile criminals protected!

That is totally crazy. You mean to tell me these kids could basically do what they want and no adult could be held responsible for it. The parents gets PAID to care for the childern so it is her job took look after and provide the care and needs to produce a productive citizen. The Social workers get PAID to find stable homes for the kids. And because they are employed by the state there protected. They could very well shot and injured me. And just because i dont have medical insurance i have to pay all of the medical bills. What a great system. I should go get some foster kids myself and have them steal for me! why not there protected by law so im not responsible.I mean whats the whole point of taking in kids if no ones going to look after them this is defeating the purpose OH I know money! and what about the other victims. A home invasion! they put guns to the heads of two innocent women,
robbed an old lady who later suffered a stroke& this is after City hours Amazing how the parents knew nothing. Its 11:00 p.m. where is your son or daughter? Where were the parents?
Probally counting the Money the state sent them plus the money the boys made from the previous carjacking and robbery.

racer72

Remember that the next time you vote for lower taxes and less government services. Society has failed you because it cannot fund everything to protect ourselves from ourselves. You have failed yourself by not protecting yourself from ourselves. That is what taxes and insurance are all about.

tammy8

WHY DOESN'T ANYONE KEEP INSURANCE CURRENT????? Yes I am screaming at the top of my lungs because it is people like this that always want to blame someone else when in the end it is YOUR RESPONSIBLITY TO KEEP YOUR VEHCILES INSURED!!!!!

stephenk

If you are going to make a claim against the foster parents or the agency that hires them, make sure you make the claim sooner than later. If the agency is a city or state entity you may have to make a claim within 6 months of the incident.

consult with an attorney regarding your options.

M

macro9999

I AGREE......take the carjacking as a warning sign that maybe you wont be so LUCKY next time!!!!

YOU have a expensive car AND NO DAMNNN INSURANCE, now you want someone to pay....

GEEZ....

Consider the $8000 LOSS as your punishment for not having car insurance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">