• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Rental Accident - Unauthorized driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tigerhapa

What is the name of your state? State of Accident-Hawaii, State of residence-California

I rented a car in Hawaii, and due to a last minute emergency, I was unable to return the car. My friend offered to return it since it was extremely close by. My friend was hit by a city bus that ran a red light while returning the car. Luckily no one was hurt. But the rental car sustained significant damages and the bus driver is claiming my friend ran the red, not him, and there were no witnesses that stopped. I did not purchase any supplimental rental car insurance since I have liability with my own auto carrier that covers me in rentals, and my credit card has collision coverage. Unforuntately, my credit card wont cover anything since I wasnt the one driving. My auto insurance says they wont cover anything, even though my friend was a permissive driver of the vehicle, because I only have liability. My friend has full auto insurance, including collision, but her auto insurance company is now saying they wont cover anything because she did not have permission from the owner of the car to drive.
Now Enterprise is sending me the bill for repairs.
1) What can I do, if anything? Am I responsible for all charges and bills now?
2) Is there anyway to get the insurance companies to still try to determine/investigate who is legally at fault?
3) Should I get a lawyer now? If so, is it best to get a local Hawaii Lawyer?

Thanks in advance!

moburkes

1. Your credit card is correct: They are only insuring YOU for collision.
2. Your insurance company is correct: Supplemental insurance coverage for liability ONLY, only covers the drivers specifically listed on that auto insurance policy. Even if you did have collision on your personal auto policy, it only covers the vehicles that you've paid a premium on for the collision coverage. It will NEVER transfer to another vehicle.
3. Your friend's insurance is correct since she didn't have permission from the rental place. Again, they would only cover the liability portion anyway, not the damage to the rental vehicle.

Your only option to get coverage is to somehow prove that the bus ran the red light. Even in that situation, your own insurance company generally pays for the damages when an accident involved a government vehicle. Again, since you didn't carry collision, this wouldn't apply.

You will end up paying the claim, or you will sue your girlfriend for the damages that she caused in the accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">