• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car sold but yet registered under my name. Accident by new owner.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sudhir kumar

What is the name of your state? Kansas

I sold my old car to somebody 1 month ago. I cancelled my insurance on the car 2 -3 days after I sold the car. However I had to move out of Kansas urgently, hence could not take out my license plates.

The new owner has not registered the car under his name nor does he have a insurance on the car. Hence it is still on my name.

He was involved in an accident recently where the opposite car was damaged.

Would I be liable in any way, since the car was still on my name and had my license plates on.

I have an agreement signed by me and him which says that I have sold him the car and I wont be liable for anything after the sale date. Would that help me in any way in case I am liable in any way.

Can somebody tell me what I need to do.

P

prettyface

state of California

Hello sudhir kumar, for your peace of mind its better to consult a car accident lawyer. A car accident lawyer can provide you with all the necessary legal solutions to your car accident problem. So better start looking for competent car accident lawyers in your area.

Last edited by a moderator:

fejee

Arre Sudhir seth, yeh kya lafda kar dia bhai?

You may be as registered owner, be liable for any damages upto the statutory limits of your State, if the driver of your veh is found at fault. But since you have a Release of liability signed by the buyer, you may have no legal responsibility. Good idea to report claim to your insurance carrier anyway. I mean, what if the insurance department delayed your cancellation due to their own work, and the policy actually got cancelled in their system a day after the accident.

Anything can happen here biddu? Sab gol mal hai bahiya. Samjhe?

Godd Luck Bacchan Saab

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

prettyface said:
state of California
Hello sudhir kumar, for your peace of mind its better to consult a car accident lawyer. A car accident lawyer can provide you with all the necessary legal solutions to your car accident problem. So better start looking for competent car accident lawyers in your area.

My response:

Sudhir Kumar, you could get hit with a lawsuit for "Negligent Entrustment." It doesn't matter what your piece of paper says. What matters is whether the State has you registered as the owner of the car, and if so, you'll be hearing from the other person, or their attorney. In short, you're more than probably "on the hook."

IAAL

Last edited by a moderator:

teflon_jones

You should have taken the plates and signed over the title when you sold the car. While that piece of paper may help you, it does not release you from liability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">