• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car stolen, burned, and now in impound

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alstarx

What is the name of your state? California....not my car or my situation, so I may not have all the details..
My friend's car was stolen on Halloween, then burned.
It is now being held as evidence because of the arson. In the meantime, she can't find the title, DMV won't release a substitute title because the police are holding th car, and the impound fees are accruing.
My friend wants to know why should she be responsible to pay this fee for a car that is dead? What will happen if she doesn't pay the fees to get her burnt piece of scrap back?

LK.

She should immediately have this discussion with the police officers involved in the arson case.

stephenk

is the car a total loss? If yes, why does she want the car back? Has she contacted her auto insurance company to report the loss?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">