• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car stolen, reported to police, involved in hit and run, nobody arrested.Am I liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tulip777

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

My car was stolen in front of our house sometime during the night. Police came over and took a report early daybreak. Car was involved in a hit and run 6 hours later, damaging another car and my car, and was abandoned. Nobody was arrested. The insurance company of the other car is after me since I am the owner of the stolen car. Am I still liable although I am also a victim? I need your advice. Thank you very much.

stephenk

you are not liable since the car was reported stolen before it was involved in an accident. Ask the other insurance company what proof they have that you were negligent or that you gave the thief permission to drive your car.

tulip777

You Are Guilty said:
I take it you don't have insurance?
I have liability insurance. But I still don't know whether I'll have my insurance company involved. I am afraid that they might just go the easy way by just paying the other insurance company and thereby raising my premium.

tulip777

stephenk said:
you are not liable since the car was reported stolen before it was involved in an accident. Ask the other insurance company what proof they have that you were negligent or that you gave the thief permission to drive your car.
Thank you very much stephenk for your reply. The other insurance company will surely hear me ask them those 2 questions. Will sleep well tonight. Thanks again!

stephenk

you should report the incident to your carrier. they will provide an attorney on your behalf if the other carrier does decide to sue you.

teflon_jones

As others have said, you're not at all liable. This is exactly why you report a stolen car ASAP! Contact your insurance company and let them take care of this.

You Are Guilty

tulip777 said:
I have liability insurance. But I still don't know whether I'll have my insurance company involved. I am afraid that they might just go the easy way by just paying the other insurance company and thereby raising my premium.

As already posted, why are you even worrying about this then? You have insurance for a reason - call them to report the theft and whatever other details you have and go grab a beer. (And you are not filing a claim so your premiums shouldn't go up.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">