• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car theft Hagerty Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jpogantsch

Hotrod was stolen in Milwaukee. Insured through hagerty for $ 45000. Filed police report, contacted hagerty. They have now hired a company who sub contracted to a private investigator. We met with him and gave a verbal statement. He even spoke with my fiancé who wasn't with me me.
Now he was wants phone records.
Make me think hagerty wants to get out of paying.

FlyingRon

Makes me think Haggarty doesn't trust what you told them. If you are indeed committing insurance fraud, you should be keeping your mouth shut.

adjusterjack

Hotrod was stolen in Milwaukee. Insured through hagerty for $ 45000. Filed police report, contacted hagerty. They have now hired a company who sub contracted to a private investigator. We met with him and gave a verbal statement. He even spoke with my fiancé who wasn't with me me.
Now he was wants phone records.
Make me think hagerty wants to get out of paying.
No, they don't want to get out of paying.

They want to make sure they aren't paying for insurance fraud.

Insurance companies treat theft and fire as suspicious and thoroughly investigate to rule out any fraud and to make sure all the policy provisions and underwriting requirements were complied with.

The trouble with Flyingron's advice is that your insurance CONTRACT requires your cooperation. If you clam up it gives the insurance company the right to deny the claim under the cooperation clause.

If you didn't commit fraud and have nothing to hide then cooperate and don't be surprised if you have to sit for an Examination Under Oath.

There is not only the fraud issue involved but an underwriting issue as well. Hagerty, as well as other collector car insurance programs require that a vehicle must be used on a "limited" basis which is consistent with the operation of something that has collectible value. Usage for club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours, and limited pleasure driving is acceptable. It also requires that the vehicle be stored in a fully enclosed and locked garage when not in use. This is to assure adequate protection against theft, vandalism, and weather-related hazards. The preferred form of storage is a privately owned garage or storage building located on the same property as the owner's residence.

So, where was your vehicle when it got stolen?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It appeared to me that the OP did not ask any question. Why he came here to vent is a mystery.

adjusterjack

Sure, but after 17 years of trying to pull information out of people my policy is if you don't want to tell me outright I'm not asking or guessing or "reading between the lines".

;)
I have the same philosophy most of the time, having been on forums like this for 15 years.

But sometimes an unwritten question is as clear to me as the blue Arizona skies above me.

And when it comes to insurance I can sometimes divine the question just from the title of the post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">