• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car title quandary, crazy girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wyattazipper87

So my ex girlfriend got me to put my name on the title of a car for her and also to put my license plate on her vehicle. She has racked up a thousand dollars in tickets and highway tolls. I need to get my car off the title of the car and get my license plate and tag removed from the vehicle but she lives in a gated community with tight security and I can't gain access to the car itself and I can't deal with her personally. I don't care about the car itself, she can keep it for all I care. I just need to remove myself from the title and get back my plate with the least damage possible. I live in Miami Florida. It's also worth mentioning she is driving it with no license and no insurance.

FlyingRon

If I understand your post you are listed on the title and the registration. Hence you are a part owner. You do understand that as an owner YOUR license is liable to be suspended if they catch the car being uninsured?
Is there a lien?

My suggestion is you take possesion of the car until you can get the girl to transfer the title into her name alone and get her own registration.

LdiJ

If I understand your post you are listed on the title and the registration. Hence you are a part owner. You do understand that as an owner YOUR license is liable to be suspended if they catch the car being uninsured?
Is there a lien?

My suggestion is you take possesion of the car until you can get the girl to transfer the title into her name alone and get her own registration.
Since he cannot access the car that would be problematic. I would certainly suggest that he get insurance on the car until something gets worked out.

Wyattazipper87

I do not have access to the car. My license has become suspended BECAUSE of those unpaid tickets and tolls. I need to find a way to get my name off the title and to retrieve my license plate ... Any ideas how this can be done within the legal system? Also her license is suspended and yet she continues to drive..

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I do not have access to the car. My license has become suspended BECAUSE of those unpaid tickets and tolls. I need to find a way to get my name off the title and to retrieve my license plate ... Any ideas how this can be done within the legal system? Also her license is suspended and yet she continues to drive..
Are the plates assigned to the car that they are on?

Wyattazipper87

Would it be possible to go to the DMV maybe and claim I no longer wish to own the car and or have them place the car under her name with out the actual car itself?

davew128

Please explain this. It seems to me that if he is not affirmatively letting her drive the car (and seeing as she is a part owner he can't legally stop her). I don't see how the illegal actions of one owner would impact the license of a separate owner who is uninvolved in that illegal action.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please explain this. It seems to me that if he is not affirmatively letting her drive the car (and seeing as she is a part owner he can't legally stop her). I don't see how the illegal actions of one owner would impact the license of a separate owner who is uninvolved in that illegal action.
Your question is moot - the matter already HAS impacted the license of the OP.

ETA: The "how" of it is that he is (one of) the owner(s) of the car.

latigo

So my ex girlfriend got me to put my name on the title of a car for her and also to put my license plate on her vehicle. She has racked up a thousand dollars in tickets and highway tolls. I need to get my car off the title of the car and get my license plate and tag removed from the vehicle but she lives in a gated community with tight security and I can't gain access to the car itself and I can't deal with her personally. I don't care about the car itself, she can keep it for all I care. I just need to remove myself from the title and get back my plate with the least damage possible. I live in Miami Florida. It's also worth mentioning she is driving it with no license and no insurance.
Well you're left with two choices. You can continue to let her run trod over you and bury you in fines, peddle around on your bike, OR because the vehicle is held under joint ownership take legal action in the form of a Petition for Partition as allowed under Section 64.091 of Chapter 64 Florida's of the Florida Statutes. Your goal being to obtain an order of the court directing that the vehicle be sold at public auction as per Section 64.071 (1) of that Chapter.

I don't recommend that you attempt it in proper person as it is rather complicated. If you opt to do so, ask your lawyer about adding a separate count praying for a judgment against her for any fines and penalties you have been required to pay that are attributed to her violations; that she be ordered to indemnify you as to all unpaid and/or future such fines; an order of the court directing DMV to restore your operator's license and such other appropriate relief as the lawyer might find fitting. Bearing in mind that if you don't ask you ain't going to get it.

davew128

Your question is moot - the matter already HAS impacted the license of the OP.

ETA: The "how" of it is that he is (one of) the owner(s) of the car.
That's based on unpaid tickets, not her driving the vehicle without insurance. :rolleyes:

FlyingRon

My answer stands as correct.
He HAS been suspended over the tolls and unpaid tickets.
He also COULD (or possibly was also) be suspended over the lapse in insurance. The owner IS responsible for maintaining insurance in Florida.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">