• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Title Transfer Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PosterBoy

California

Hi There,
Here is my dilemma;
I got rear ended by a delivery truck. The guy begged me not to report it. Long story short. No Injury. His company paid me $2500 (better than bluebook) for release of liability. He was new and on probation. He would have been fired otherwise. Great for him.
I leased a new car and I now have a cosmetically totaled 1993 Saturn. It runs and drives great, but the repairs exceed the value of the car. Just prior to the accident I had $3k worth of work done. If I salvage it I'll only get $100.
I want to sell it for more like $700 or donate it, but since there has been no police or accident report is it possible? Can I sell it "ASIS" without repercussions?
Thanks in Advance

teflon_jones

You can sell the car "as-is" to a private party. I would indicate on the bill of sale that the car is being sold for parts since it's apparently no longer drivable. Make sure to have the buyer sign it too and put in it exactly that "this vehicle is being sold in as-is condition." You won't be able to donate the vehicle. Any place that accepts donated vehicles requires them to be in good working condition.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">