• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car totaled by hit and run driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rcable180

What is the name of your state? PA

I was visiting some friends in Pa. While my car was legally parallel parked on the street, it was struck along with 2 other cars at about 1:30am on a Saturday night. 2 out of the 3 vehicles hit were total losses, one of which was mine. The perpetrator did turn himself in 10 days later because his car was also a total loss even though he drove 20 miles to get away the night of the incident. He turned himself in because he did not know what to tell his insurance co. He is saying a dog jumped out in front of him, but I suspect alcohol was involved. This guy's insurance company says they only have to pay me the fair market value of the vehicle, which leaves me in the hole $3800 with my lender. Do I have the legal right to pursue the insurance company or the individual for the remaining balance?What is the name of your state?

ecmst12

Do you have gap insurance on your loan? Ask your leinholder.

But no, the person who hit your car is only liable for the value of your vehicle, your loan is completely your business and not their responsibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">