• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car totaled: Insurance company won't settle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sharp5944

I was involved in an accident. The other driver was clearly at fault, and his insurance company agrees. The problem is that they won't pay me enough for my vehicle. It was 16 years old, and they have found several similar age and mileage cars selling for $2,000. My problem is that I had planned on keeping this car for at least 5 more years, and had always had repairs done "properly" meaning brand new parts, no shortcuts. The car also had had several improvements - $1,500 worth of stereo equipment, $400 worth of seat covers, etc. The insurance company finally offered me $2,500, they keep the wrecked car. They said that they had no way to value the car higher, and encouraged me to show them why it was worth more. I found a NADA website that said that the car could be worth as much as $3,500. The insurance company countered that they didn't use "book values." If I buy a replacement car for $2K, I will be faced with all the same repairs that I have done to my other car. I am considering small claims court. Any suggestions?

ALawyer

Small Claims court may work if the jurisdictional limits are as high as $3500 and you can prove the car's real value in the marketplace (not the value to you) was $3500.

You may need an expert to prove its unique value and your policy may not cover more than a set amount determined by a blue or yellow book.

Also, check with your state insurance department.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">