• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car totaled, not involved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RyanMEmperor

What is the name of your state? Illinois. I woke up the other day to find that my car had been involved in an accident outside my home in the early morning hour, while I was sleeping inside my house. A drunk driving 17 year old girl had taken a corner to fast slamming her 1995 dodge avenger into my recently purchased 1992 ford explorer with 60,000 miles and in excellent condition, knocking my truck into the yard across the street. I paid $4200 for the explorer, 2000 cash, and 2200 borrowed. Her insurance company is Statefarm, and they are telling me that the estimate handed down from the collision repair company deemed my truck "totaled". The estimate for complete repairs is $3200 and some change, they are telling me that my explorer is only worth $2500 and some change, leaving me, who had nothing to do with this, to pay the remaining balance of $700. Is this right? I dont understand why I should have to pay anything at all. I have filed claims with both Statefarm (hers) and AAA (mine) I have AAA sending out a estimator to the body shop where my truck is located to re-estimate. If the initial estimate holds up, and I am in fact responsible for the remaing charges, can I take the girl's parent to court to get retributions? Here's some more information that will help: the girl was charged with a "zero tolerance" DUI, and I borrowed the $2200 from my father so I opted for liability insurance. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">