• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car totaled by semi truck while stopped at intersection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

p-amadeus

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

So I was at a red light at an intersection in the right lane (of 2 lanes) with my blinker on waiting for some pedestrians to cross the street before I could complete my turn. In the left lane next to me is a semi truck. The light turns green and there are still pedestrians crossing the street so I stay in place.
The semi truck veers out in front of me and begins to pull an illegal u turn in the intersection. I can see that the trailer is coming dangerously close to my car so I lay on my horn. The driver of the semi still doesn't stop and the side of their trailer first takes off my rear view mirror then grinds deeply into the entire driver side of my car without pause, busting out my driver side window into my lap and completely flattening my front left tire. I'm not even sure about mechanical damage yet as my car is still at a shop where I am having them check for it.
Anyways, the driver gets completely around in the u turn, then doesn't stop! He just drives off despite my yelling, honking, and waving at him. At this point I start running after his truck down the street but he's going pretty fast and hitting green lights. A small delivery truck pulls up along me and I tell them what happened and they sped off to cut the driver off to prevent him from escaping. Another vehicle the driver of which saw the accident then picks me up and drives me up to the truck where I confront the driver and of course he plays dumb.
I call the police, get down all the info on his truck I can find. The police issue him at least one citation I know of, none for me as I didn't do anything wrong. I have 4 witnesses all who saw the entire thing. So my car is un-drivable and now being checked for mechanical damage, I'm yet to get an estimate on the body work which alone I'm sure will cost more than my car is worth. The real kicker is I work as a delivery driver using my car so on top of all this I cannot work and I'm losing wages.
Aside from getting damages to my car covered, could I go after the trucker/trucking company for any lost wages as a result of this accident until I do get a check to either fix my car or buy a new one?

Last edited:

ecmst12

You can certainly try, but lost wages is usually intended for if you are unable to work due to injury.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">