• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car is totalled!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PISDOFF

What is the name of your state? California

I'm hoping someone can give me advice...long story but I want to give all information. I'm upset and don't know where to turn at this point. Department of insurance perhaps?

My husband was driving our van thru an intersection (no light), the lady was making a left hand turn. Her fault---cut and dried--also per AAA, her and officer. This was about 11 days ago.

Car is totalled and undriveable.

I called my insurance and AAA's 1-800 number the next day. I was told that "she DID report it this morning" and would be called back within the next few hours as to what was happening.

Waited until 3:00, then found out they close at 4:30, called and cancelled my next days appointments. I called again. Got this huge runaround but found there was indeed an adjuster handling the claim........

I received the CLAIMS ADJUSTER FROM HELL!!!!!!

She immediately put me on hold after listening to the claims number. Got back on the phone and said very rudely "I haven't gotten to that case yet, I take them in the order I get them"

Ooookay...must be PMSing, so I asked nicely (at this point) "Do you have any idea if it will be tomorrow or this week at all?"

She said "I have no idea, I haven't spoken to anyone yet and have you talked to your insurance company?"

I replied that I had and of course since it was a bad accident but that my insurance company need not be involved, we would handle this claim directly with her since it was her clients fault.

She got nastier and nastier at this point (guess I was "bothering" her). Caught her lying as she then stated that she HAD talked to the husband but not the driver, she wasn't home. Caught her in other lies too. Didn't call her on them, I was too stunned.

By this point, I'm NO more Ms. Nice Sister...I asked bluntly "Can you give me ANY idea when it might be, I'm sitting here with no car, appointments to get to and my car is sitting in my driveway in pieces" then added only because she (p)issed me off "I should not be inconvenienced because your driver can't drive" Oooops!

Her reply "You should call you insurance company and have them medigate (sp?) your claim, if you don't like the fact that your car is sitting in your driveway" Then says "that's what you pay your premium for, call me when you know what you're going to do"

Oooookay...more than PMS..she's a [rhymes with witch] and I was getting NOwhere with her. So at this point I just said "okay, fine"

Call my insurance, they are pissed and ask me to file a complaint against her, they will handle it, get a rental car and tow your van to the body shop of your choice. Also call her and let her know all this.

So I did...left a message to her by 4pm saying "I found out I am INDEED able to handle this case directly with you and will be further investigating my complaint" then "I will be renting a car to drive until my car is fixed, I have my car towed to the body shop and my insurance will be in touch with you"When I told this to my husband he said it would be costing us money if we do this (the least would be our $500. deductible)

HE called her left a message and said "I will be handling it, NOT my insurance company"

She called me and said "I thought you said your insurance will be handling it, etc., etc.," Told her we will not pay the deductible because we would be borrowing it and may not be getting it back" She then offered to send the $500.00 to my insurance company for us (hmmmm, wierd). Told her my husband will call her back since he's handling it.

Her statement was "Well, he can call me but he might not get me because I'm always busy so it will be a hit and miss with the phone" Fine. My husband called her right back, reached her and said "It's totalled and what do you want to do"

The (w)itch said "Oh, why didn't you say it was totalled, I'll have an adjuster out on next Friday to Monday sometime" and that yes, she did talk to her client on Monday and she admitted fault. Halleluuuuuuuya...but why didn't she take 2 mintues to call at that point. This was on Wednesday.

My husband said "Fine, this is all I wanted all along just for you to get the ball rolling and/or tell me what's happening"

That insurance adjuster was out within 2 hours. Took one look and said "Yes, it's totalled--she will be calling you on Monday with a decision"

It's now Wednesday and nothing from her. I had to hand in the rental car for a new one since the air conditioning went out on the one I had and it's $60.00 per day. Her mentioned that some insurances only pay a set amount and did she give it to me, I stated that she won't even talk to us, let alone give us information. She KNOWS we have a rental car. My husband says we will just sue her for the bill but......

I'm also hearing that she will possibly only pay for the rental car while my car is being repaired....well, it's not repairable and she won't call to make a decision. I also heard from a friend that she may not pay at all because she has up to 15 days to investigate, what does that mean?

My neighbor can't understand why I'm having these problems since they had such good luck with AAA when they were rear-ended by a AAA driver. His mom was hit by a AAA driver and it was fixed and paid within 1 week!!! He says that this adjuster is just scamming in some way....huh, what can she possibly be scamming?

It's been suggested by my insurance(the office girls) to call her supervisor and don't deal with her. Is this possible? Will I get quicker results or will I just piss off the dragon even worse? It will be bad enough when she realizes she can't pay me off with $2,000 or less when I've researched and found MY (very equal to mine) car between $5000 and $7000. THEN...I'm slapping her with the rental car from the time I had it while she (d)icked around at her convenience...won't that be a shock to the witch. It's comparable to my car which was an 8 passenger van, so that's what I have at $60.00 per day!!!

It's even been suggested that I contact the Dept. of Insurance in CA but isn't that a BIT extreme? I hear they will jump down her throat and get it going at a faster rate of speed. Maybe this is the fastest she can do this, I just don't know.

At what point should I mention small claims to her? I do so hate to threaten but I think it might get to that point. I'm trying really hard not to take the offense right away and work with her but I'm feeling that's NOT going to happen. I'm documenting EVERYTHING, writing it all down and noting all paperwork. I THINK I'm ready for her.

Any sound advice?

Thanks ahead of time!

R

rward

Go with the advice you've already been given, *contact her supervisor*, as that's what they're for. Who cares if it pisses her off? And as for whether or not she's handling it as fast as she can, if it is, then her supervisor will do nothing, if not, then perhaps she'll end up expediting the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">