• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car totalled in flood tags expired, valid insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mollysue

What is the name of your state? Georgia

hello, i was just in a flash flood and had my car towed to a shop. the guys at the shop said there is a 75% chance the insurance adjuster will total it. my vehicle registration expired a month ago. (i missed the letter because i had moved apartments and was out of the country for a month shortly after). i went into register it and couldn't because i didn't have an emission test done. i'm new to georgia and emissions weren't required in my old state. I have valid insurance on the car and my insurance even towed my car to the shop. now i'm just freaking out about what will happen because of my expired tags. and i can't go in a pay my registration because the car won't run at all for me to get my emissions test. does anyone know what will happen? should i call the tag office and explain? WILL THE FACT THAT I HAVE EXPIRED TAGS AFFECT MY INSURANCE COVERAGE????HELP!!!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you'd like, you can call your local motor vehicle department and say "The tags on my car expired a month ago, but it was in a flood and may be totaled. How do I deal with the tag issue if it's totaled?"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">