• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car totalled by uninsured motorist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dblumer

On January 3, 2006 a car stopped at a yellow light forcing me to make a quick stop. Both the car in front of me and myself managed to stop and stay stopped for a couple seconds. After we both stopped a truck crashed into my vehicle sending it into the car in front of me. My 1985 Honda Accord was totalled. The other vehicles had minor damage. Everyone at the scene of the accident agreed that the fault belonged to the driver that hit me, even the one who hit me. He recieved a ticket for the causing the accident and for not having insurance. Since the accident, he has avoided my calls. I also found that he provided false information on the drivers exchange of information. He was not the owner of the vehicle, either. The owner did not have insurance, either. I had liability that didn't cover property damage from an uninsured motorist (my insurance has since closed the case because I am not at fault and they don't have to pay me for damages). My insurance sent certified mail to the owner of the vehicle. A woman with his last name signed for it. Neither the driver or the owner has contacted me or my insurance since the accident and letters. I sent certified mail to both the owner and the driver (I found out both their addresses, but can't find the owners's phone number). Someone signed for the driver of the vehicle's letter, but the letter to the owner was returned. I think that they were wary of certified mail and lied to the mail person, since someone with the same last name signed for it at the same address just two weeks earlier. I work as a pool counselor that requires me to cover shifts on short notice. Since I no longer have reliable transportation I have been forced to turn down shifts. Not only do I lose the income from those shifts, my employer is less likely to call me for future shifts and this may jeopordize my career. i need money to purchase another car. I want to take someone to small claims court. Who do I file against? The driver, the owner, or both? What information do I need? What /how much compensation can I get? How do I collect? What if they never show to court? This is in Colorado.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

dblumer said:
On January 3, 2006 a car stopped at a yellow light forcing me to make a quick stop. Both the car in front of me and myself managed to stop and stay stopped for a couple seconds. After we both stopped a truck crashed into my vehicle sending it into the car in front of me. My 1985 Honda Accord was totalled. The other vehicles had minor damage. Everyone at the scene of the accident agreed that the fault belonged to the driver that hit me, even the one who hit me. He recieved a ticket for the causing the accident and for not having insurance. Since the accident, he has avoided my calls. I also found that he provided false information on the drivers exchange of information. He was not the owner of the vehicle, either. The owner did not have insurance, either. I had liability that didn't cover property damage from an uninsured motorist (my insurance has since closed the case because I am not at fault and they don't have to pay me for damages). My insurance sent certified mail to the owner of the vehicle. A woman with his last name signed for it. Neither the driver or the owner has contacted me or my insurance since the accident and letters. I sent certified mail to both the owner and the driver (I found out both their addresses, but can't find the owners's phone number). Someone signed for the driver of the vehicle's letter, but the letter to the owner was returned. I think that they were wary of certified mail and lied to the mail person, since someone with the same last name signed for it at the same address just two weeks earlier. I work as a pool counselor that requires me to cover shifts on short notice. Since I no longer have reliable transportation I have been forced to turn down shifts. Not only do I lose the income from those shifts, my employer is less likely to call me for future shifts and this may jeopordize my career. i need money to purchase another car. I want to take someone to small claims court. Who do I file against? The driver, the owner, or both? What information do I need? What /how much compensation can I get? How do I collect? What if they never show to court? This is in Colorado.

Q: Who do I file against?

A: The person who damaged you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">