• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car vs. cow

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thinkingofyou86

What is the name of your state? alabama

I hit a mans cow. It was in the middle of the road . Is he liable for the damages to my car?

HomeGuru

thinkingofyou86 said:
What is the name of your state? alabama

I hit a mans cow. It was in the middle of the road . Is he liable for the damages to my car?
**A: of course not. Don't you know how to drive?

I agree with HomeGuru. You just can't go around hitting things in the road without assuming liability.

A cow is not like a cat or a squirl who just darts out into the road at the last minute. Cows are usually big and slow.

T

thinkingofyou86

it was a big black cow. it was at night and i was not going fast. they put on the accident report that i was going 40 mph.

spawn_x

was it on a curve/turn?

what was the posted speed limit? where was the owner of the cow?

i do have to ask though... how could you not see it ?

T

thinkingofyou86

posted speed limit is 45. it was in a straight a way and slightly foggy. this was on december 5 2002. i could not see the cow until i got up close to it. the road was damp and i was almost stopped when i hit it. i saw it in enough time to break and almost stop.

T

thinkingofyou86

posted speed limit is 45. it was in a straight a way and slightly foggy. this was on december 5 2002. i could not see the cow until i got up close to it. the road was damp and i was almost stopped when i hit it. i saw it in enough time to break and almost stop. the owner was not around

Souix

thinkingofyou86 said:
posted speed limit is 45. it was in a straight a way and slightly foggy. this was on december 5 2002. i could not see the cow until i got up close to it. the road was damp and i was almost stopped when i hit it. i saw it in enough time to break and almost stop. the owner was not around

***So if you were almost stopped...what are the damages to your car? What were the damages to the cow?

H

hmmbrdzz

The ground beef jokes were hilarious. Just kind of sucked
me right into this one. I know, I know -- I'm always pasting
some long URL into some note, but after reading about
the "cow laws", the cow might lose!

Don't boo! Just :eek: mmooOOOO.

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:bajzOeBfKBAC:www.ag.auburn.edu/dept/aec/courses/agec4070/chapter8.PDF+livestock+road+liability+Alabama&hl=en&start=2&ie=UTF-8

http://www.law.utexas.edu/dawson/fence/al_fnc.htm

But then again -- the cow might win !!

http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmej/9806/rm980602.htm

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">