• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Careless driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JeffA

What is the name of your state?

NJ

Wife go into a car accident in NJ. Stopped at stop sign looked right then left saw no one turned and got hit by car coming thru intersection from her right side. She tried to settle out of court with other driver but damages were too high so we made claim for insurance. Insurance company only paid other driver 60% finding he was 40 person culpable for accident. Now he has filed a complaint in municipal court against wife for careless driving.

Is it enough to go to court and show that he was equally negligent for accident based on him hitting her and insurance company finding to show she is not culpable? or should we just try to plea down

Lynx 36

Quote: "Is it enough to go to court and show that he was equally negligent for accident based on him hitting her and insurance company finding to show she is not culpable? or should we just try to plea down"

If there were no witnesses, and the cop didn't see it, it would make it her word vs his word. Plead not guilty. Just f/ spite if some prick did this to me I would turn around and file a careless driving complaint against him

What complete loser would waste his time filing a careless driving complaint against someone?

JeffA

my theory is that he wants to sue us or wants us to pay the remaining costs that he had to pay b/c the insurance did not cover him completely and wants to use a ticket as the basis but obviously he is a prick

Filing a careless driving complaint is a good idea

Lynx 36

Quote: "my theory is that he wants to sue us or wants us to pay the remaining costs"

He settled w/ your insurance company. He signed a release. He can't sue you f/ the remaining damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">