• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Careless Driving/personal Injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDPINJ

NEW JERSEY
hi-i received a careless driving ticket in December; I actually hit a pedestrian-the man walked from the scene so I'm assuming (and hoping) he's OK. I made a left turn at a traffic light ( it was green) and it was evening & raining (very dark) also the man was wearing dark clothing. I didnt see him unfortunately until i hit him.My question is if i plead guilty what can expect in the way of penalties? Is there any chance of loss of license or jail? I have only a obstruction of traffic charge on my abstract.Also i didnt leave the scene Thanks

S

seniorjudge

Another troll barking without even getting a response!

That's twice today!

S

seniorjudge

CDPINJ said:
Wow-lynx36 & Senior Judge-what Are U, A Couple Of Pathetic Lawyer Wannabes? On Second Thought If I Had To Rely On Advice From 2 Losers Like You,i'll Risk Jailtime!
Well, when you put it that way, you are absolutely correct.

CDPINJ

Gee Thanks For All Your Wonderful Help! I Realize I Need To Probably Hire A Lawyer & Not Be Cheap But I Was Hoping To Get Some Actual Advise Instead Of Smartass Answers! Guess I Was Wrong!

You Are Guilty

I hate to state the obvious, but apparently, it's necessary.

Did you think for a minute that if you weren't such a jackass and waited a little while longer for an attorney to stop whatever he/she was doing to give you FREE (did I mention "free"?) advice (before you opened your yap to complain) you might have gotten an anwer, or even more then one?

But since you already have, I can count on one hand the number of people who are going to be willing to help you (for free) now.

I will leave you with this bit of free (there it goes again!) advice: buy a bus pass.

CDPINJ

hate to state the obvious, but apparently, it's necessary.

Did you think for a minute that if you weren't such a jackass and waited a little while longer for an attorney to stop whatever he/she was doing to give you FREE (did I mention "free"?) advice (before you opened your yap to complain) you might have gotten an anwer, or even more then one?

But since you already have, I can count on one hand the number of people who are going to be willing to help you (for free) now.

I will leave you with this bit of free (there it goes again!) advice: buy a bus pass

OK 1ST OF ALL MR/MS YOU ARE GUILTY,MY POST WAS ON FOR A FULL DAY AND NO RESPONSE;I WAS JUST GETTING FRUSTRATED BECAUSE I SAW PEOPLE LOOKED & DIDN'T RESPOND;2ND, I'M NOT A JACKASS; I APOLOGIZE FOR WHAT SEEMED TO BE LASHING OUT WHEN I WAS JUST FRUSTRATED & UPSET-I DO REALIZE I'M GETTING "FREE" ADVICE & I SHOULDN'T BE LOOKING A GIFT HORSE IN THE MOUTH BUT I'M JUST WORRIED & WAS HOPING I COULD GET SOMEONE TO GIVE ME A BIT OF GUIDANCE BEFORE I COULD COME UP WITH $ FOR AN ATTORNEY-AGAIN I APOLOGIZE FOR MY RUDE DEMEANOR

S

seniorjudge

"...Gee Thanks For All Your Wonderful Help! I Realize I Need To Probably Hire A Lawyer & Not Be Cheap But I Was Hoping To Get Some Actual Advise Instead Of Smartass Answers! Guess I Was Wrong!..."

Here's a clue:

CDPINJ said:
Why The Hell Do 24 People Look At The F***ing Thread & Not Respond?! No Disrespect Intended But Please Someone With Some Knowledge Respond!! Thanks

CDPINJ

I Know Seniorjudge & I Apologized For My Sarcastic Comment;if No One Wants To Help I Understand & Don't Blame Them;shouldn'tve Shot My Mouth Off; I'm Big Enough To Admit When I'm Wrong-again I'm Sorry

Lynx 36

Careless driving usually results in a fine only. There sometimes may be a license suspension depending on the circumstances.

If the person you hit was not hurt you could be looking at a fine only. If the pedestrian is severely hurt, you could be looking at additional charges, plus fine, plus license suspension. It also depends on your criminal record as well.

There are too many variables to consider here to say f/ certain what will happen. The good thing is this isn't a serious offense, and it won't ruin your life. If things go your way you will get a slap on the wrist and be outta there.

Lastly, I wouldn't get an atty either. There isn't anything they can do f/ you in this case but take more of your money.

Last edited:

CDPINJ

Careless driving usually results in a fine only. There sometimes may be a license suspension depending on the circumstances.

If the person you hit was not hurt you could be looking at a fine only. If the pedestrian is severely hurt, you could be looking at additional charges, plus fine, plus license suspension. It also depends on your criminal record as well.

There are too many variables to consider here to say f/ certain what will happen. The good thing is this isn't a serious offense, and it won't ruin your life. If things go your way you will get a slap on the wrist and be outta there.

Lastly, I wouldn't get an atty either. There isn't anything they can do f/ you in this case but take more of your money.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THANKS LYNX-FORTUNATELY THE GUY GOT UP & WALKED AWAY; DO YOU THINK I COULD PLEAD TO A NO-POINT VIOLATION SUCH AS UNSAFE DRIVING OR DO YOU THINK I'M BETTER OFF JUST PLEADING GUILTY-I HAVE A GOOD DRIVING RECORD-THANKS AGAIN

Lynx 36

Find out who the prosecutor is in your case and arrange a meeting at their office before your arraignment. Explain to them that since you are a good driver (record shows this), and why you don't feel you were driving carelessly. Ask the prosecutor if they would except your plea of guilty to unsafe driving instead of the careless driving. They may accept it. You could also volunteer to go to traffic school to get the charge reduced, but I wouldn't throw this out right away, only if the prosecutor appears hesitant to accept your plea. If you can't get a meeting, then when you are called up ask the judge if you may speak to the prosecutor f/ a minute. Chances are the prosecutor will be more than glad to get one off the books quickly and accept your plea. This is pretty much what an atty would do and it will save you about a $1,000.

Was the guy you hit on the police report?

I'm assuming not, since you said he kept walking on. If this is true this is something else in your favor. It wouldn't look good if the guy you hit were to testify.

My last question is did the guy at the light have a crosswalk light showing it was ok f/ him to cross?

CDPINJ

Was the guy you hit on the police report?

I'm assuming not, since you said he kept walking on. If this is true this is something else in your favor. It wouldn't look good if the guy you hit were to testify.

My last question is did the guy at the light have a crosswalk light showing it was ok f/ him to cross?

YES LYNX HE WAS THERE FOR THE POLICE REPORT; HE BASICALLY REFUSED TREATMENT-JUST A HEAD BANDAGE THEN WAS ON HIS WAY-AND YES HE HAD THE CROSSWALK 7 THE RIGHT OF WAY-I JUST SIMPLY DIDN'T SEE HIM BCUZ IT WAS SO DARK & HE WAS WEARING DARK CLOTHING-JUST AN UNFORTUNATE ACCIDENT

Lynx 36

I'm surprised an ambulance chaser hasn't found this guy yet. If he has you can bet there will be some serious injuries all of the sudden. That's how these scumbags operate.

Hopefully nothing more will come out of this or you may have to turn it into your insurance. Follow my previous advice and you should be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">