• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Case finished lawyer holding money in escrow

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NJunhappy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? N.J.
My accident case was settled almost a year ago and my lawyer is still holding a NICE amount of money in escrow. He claims he must hold this money in case the insurance company does not pay all the medical bills. He has been paid out of the settlement so I owe him nothing. He will not take my calls or return my calls or give me an appointment. He is always "out". I finally caught up with him in front of the office and he says he is "working on it". How long can this guy hold my money? I don't have any doctors chasing me for payment so what can I do?

I

itsacatsworld

What does the settlement state? Did you authorize him to do this? Contact the ABA of your state and if hes doing something wrong file a complaint.

S

seniorjudge

NJunhappy said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? N.J.
My accident case was settled almost a year ago and my lawyer is still holding a NICE amount of money in escrow. He claims he must hold this money in case the insurance company does not pay all the medical bills. He has been paid out of the settlement so I owe him nothing. He will not take my calls or return my calls or give me an appointment. He is always "out". I finally caught up with him in front of the office and he says he is "working on it". How long can this guy hold my money? I don't have any doctors chasing me for payment so what can I do?
These folks would like to hear your story about that lawyer:

Supreme Court of New Jersey
Office of Attorney Ethics
R.J. Hughes Justice Complex, Cn-963
25 West Market St.
Trenton, NJ 08625
609-292-8750

NJunhappy

I did not authorize him to do this, He handed me an itemized bill and on the bill was this escrow amount. Thanks for the advice, I'll try the ABA.

S

seniorjudge

NJunhappy said:
I did not authorize him to do this, He handed me an itemized bill and on the bill was this escrow amount. Thanks for the advice, I'll try the ABA.
The ABA is just a lobbying organization; use the info I gave you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">