• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cash Wash Ruined my Rims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angel805

What is the name of your state? California

Last Saturday I took my BMW into a local cashwash to get some detailing done. After I was given the keys, I noticed my rims had a smeared look to them. They are (orginal factory) chrome wheels, so they looked like if some of the tire armor-all type stuff had gotten onto them. I told the guy about it and he gave it a quick wipe down as I got into the car. He gave me the thumbs up and I took off.

Yesterday evening as I was getting into the car I noticed the rims still had that smeared look. So I took out a rag and some water and as I started polishing I noticed the wheels were corroded. My wife went into the car wash this morning to see if they could help and she was rudely dismissed by one of the employees there and was told she had to pay another $10 if she wanted them cleaned. When my wife pointed out that the chrome had literally peeled off they kicked her off the premises.

Now i'm angry and thinking of suing. I called my dealer this morning and replace wheels cost approximate $2,500. Would this be a good case for small claims court and has anyone had a similar experience with car washes?

If I do sue i'm planning on doing it for $5,000 to cover the replacement wheels, the hassle and the rude treatment toward my wife. Any suggestions?

xylene

If I do sue i'm planning on doing it for $5,000 to cover the replacement wheels, the hassle and the rude treatment toward my wife. Any suggestions?
Drop from your suit:

1. the hassle
  2. the rude treatment toward my wife.

'rude treatment' don't make me chuckle. Thats not a damage.

Hassle, also no dice.

Give me a theory how this happened?

How old is this BMW?

I have seen chrome peel. On its own from age.

You must prove the car wash did this.

ALSO your rims are worth their depreciated value, not necessarily their full replacement cost.

angel805

You're right, I will probably be more realistic with my suit once I cool down a bit. The car is a 2007, purchased in November.

People often find minor damage to their vehicles after a car wash. Is it because the car wash did something wrong? Possibly, but usually it's because (1) prior to the wash the damage was covered by dirt, and (2) people generally don't scrutinize the exterior of their vehicles until after a wash. In other words, preexisting damage frequently goes unnoticed until after a wash.

That said, under certain conditions wheel cleaners can cause damage to chrome. I've seen this occur when the wheel is especially hot and the cleaner is applied to it dry.

If you sue and win, you will not get $5000 for a used set of wheels that cost $2500 new. As xylene pointed out, jerky treatment or hassle "don't cut it."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">