• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cashing a Check from Guilty Party

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ATRILLO

I live in New York. I was in an accident in which another driver made an illegal U-turn and slammed into me. The guy offerred to pay for repairs to my car. However, he tried to "bargain" down the amount and in the end sent only partial payment--about 3/4 of the estimated cost of repair.
If I cash the check, does it imply a "final settlement" on the matter or can I still pursue the additional costs?

I will have to report it to his insurance company etc. but I'd rather not wait for another drawn out process to get the money.

Thanks

HomeGuru

Ask for er DEMAND the full amount payable in a cashiers check by Dec 5 2000. Otherwise you will file a police and insurance report. Stop playing games with this Bozo and act like the ATRILLO the Hun that you are.

[Edited by HomeGuru on 11-30-2000 at 09:30 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">